Eagle Brief: May 2 – 6

UIL academics to compete in state, Teacher Appreciation Week honors staff

Khushi Patel

In her office, counselor Michelle Roach holds her gift. Students created Project Querencia to give gifts to teacher and administrators. “I started Project Querencia during COVID-19,” founder and president and Coppell student Shraavya Pydisetti said. “When I saw the global shutdown of activities and the way people have been struggling, I felt like we had to do something to make a difference so I brought a group of students to start helping. Soon I realized that I fell in love with helping people and I thought that bringing students together that want to change the world would make such a huge impact and so, on June 19, Project Querencia was established.”

Amanda Hare and Alyssa Clark

Creating teacher gifts, junior Aabh Patel, junior Manushri Tanjavuru and sophomore Alexandria Everett work together. They gave teachers gifts for Teacher Appreciation Week. They delivered the gifts in the week of April 25. (Khushi Patel)

Eagle Update

Upcoming

• Prosper Education Foundation will be giving out scholarships to invited PISD students Wednesday, May 4. The ceremony will take place at Rock Hill High School’s field.
  • The Top 10% Banquet will occur Thursday, May 5, at 6 p.m. for all seniors ranked in the top 10% of their class.
  • UIL academics will compete in the state meet in Austin Friday, May 6.
  • Prom will occur Saturday, May 7.
  • The Esports team will hold a Super Smash Bros. tournament Saturday, May 7.
  • Seniors will need to complete their FAFSA form in order to graduate. To find the website, click here. To find more about senior information, click here to read a news brief from senior and editor-in-chief Amanda Hare.
  • May 2 – 6, is Teacher Appreciation Week.
In front of the school, the archery team takes a picture. The archery team placed second at state. They’re currently competing at nationals in Salt Lake City, Utah. (Pictured left to right, top to bottom: Principal John Burdett, sophomore Colin Sweenery, junior Joshua Spaur, senior Sam Sidhu, freshman Tyler Walker, freshman Ethan Wolf, Texas archery coordinater Burnie Kessner, junior Andrew Hedges, sophomore Maiya Oyakawa, sophomore Nathan Jung, sophomore Cooper Wigginton, junior Shriyans Reddy Pendlie, junior Samantha Costa, junior Laura Costa, junior Disney Wijerante, and sophomore Diego Villalobos)
(Photo Courtesy of Khushi Patel)

Uplifting

During the week of April 25, Project Querencia members delivered goody bags containing written thank you notes and chocolate to the 200 teachers and administrators. Project Querencia Prosper is an opportunity for local students to make a difference in the community and around the world. The chapter in Prosper was started recently and it has already seen successes.

“I really thought bringing Project Querencia to Prosper would be wonderful,” junior and Chapter Head Khushi Patel said. “I know there are many students in Prosper that would like to participate in community service to make large impacts and make this world a better place. Project Querencia is a wonderful opportunity with the network, means, and resources to achieve commitment and cause for the community. Participating in projects and interacting with members from all chapters is also really fun.”

Senior Ailee McFarland attended the state competition last week in the event, HOSA Happenings.  She has advanced to the International Leadership Conference in Nashville, where she’ll compete this summer.

Prosper FFA students have beef for sale in a 1/4 side, 1/2 side or whole animal. All beef is grain-fed and finished with no antibiotics or chemical enhancements of any type. Processing will be at Fischer’s Meat Market in Muenster, Texas. Beef will be UDA Choice grade for quality assurance. All animals have been fed and cared for by FFA students for 1 year. Call or text for details – 972-978-7477. (Photo Courtesy of PISD Express)