Principal reinforces dress code rules over intercom

Senior Paige Ruder wears ripped jeans, holding the student handbook, while standing in front of the ISS (In-school suspension) classroom. Principal John Burdett referenced specific details pertaining to ripped jeans, hoodie tops and other garments covered in the student handbook in today's, March 20, dress code announcement.

Senior Paige Ruder wears ripped jeans, holding the student handbook, while standing in front of the ISS (In-school suspension) classroom. Principal John Burdett referenced specific details pertaining to ripped jeans, hoodie tops and other garments covered in the student handbook in today's, March 20, dress code announcement. "Any student out of dress code will have to either change into "Prosper Greens," go to ISS, or will receive out-of-school suspension," Dr. Burdett said. "The discipline will be in alignment with our Student Code of Conduct/Student Handbook."

Kester Muthalaly

Kester Muthalaly

After administrators said they noticed students continuing to break dress code rules, Principal Dr. John M. Burdett reinforced those rules this morning with an announcement over the intercom.

“Any student out of dress code will have to either change into Prosper Greens, go to ISS or will receive out-of-school suspension,” Burdett said. “The discipline will be in alignment with our Student Code of Conduct/Student Handbook.”

“Hoodies are allowed, but they can’t wear the hoods on them. My students had a mini heart-attack because they misunderstood and thought hoodies were not, so I called to clarify.”

— Julie Rutherford, teacher

Administrative assistant Theresa Mueller said she received two phone calls and e-mails from teachers wanting to clarify these announcements for their students.

“Hoodies are allowed, but they can’t wear the hoods on them,” history teacher Julie Rutherford said. “My students had a mini heart-attack because they misunderstood and thought hoodies were not, so I called to clarify.”

Burdett said a written statement of the announcement would be sent out Sunday, March 24, in this week’s  “Principal’s Newsletter.” However, some students said they still are confused as to what the dress code enforcement procedures will be.

“I don’t really understand what’s happening,” senior Sydney Crowe said of the morning announcement. “These rules have been in place for a while, and I understand the frustration, but the manner in which it was communicated really makes it difficult to get the message through.”

Administrators reinforce dress code policy for second semester

Neha Madhira, Editor-In-Chief

Neha Madhira is a senior and Editor-in-Chief of Prosper High School's newspaper, Eagle Nation Online. She was accidentally moved into Journalism I as a...