Eagle Brief April 6 – 13

Stephanie Riley

Last week SkillsUSA traveled to Corpus Christi to compete at the state competitions. Students competed in Additive Manufacturing and Medical Assisting, and prepared exhibits in 2D/3D Animated Short Film, Web Page Design, Engineering Design, and Health Sciences. The students all won State Superior Awards! Left to right: freshman Allison Shao, sophomore Ashley Lane, senior Brielle Brown, sophomore Niva Malthankar, freshman Anish Moilla, sophomore Manish Sriram, junior Bryan Nam, sophomore Cheralatan Saravanan, sophomore Puranjay Prashanth, sophomore Braden Lopez, senior Rakshan Palanikumar and junior Shriyans Reddy Pendli.

Eagle Update & Resources

Upcoming

• You can vote for next year’s class officers today from 8:15 a.m. – 4 p.m. View videos of all the candidates in your email! Just click this link and log in. Find out the winner on instagram: prosperstuco.
  • Calling all seniors who are 18 years old or will turn 18 by May 6: April 6 is the LAST DAY where there will be volunteers and a deputy registrar outside the cafe from 1:30-3:00 p.m. They will help you get registered to vote.
  • May 3 is the deadline for the “Reversing the slide” program, which allows graduating seniors up to six credit hours (about two classes) for free this summer. Apply to Collin if you haven’t already (not necessary for current dual credits students,) clear all holds and complete pre-registration steps (see attached checklist).
  • Student Council is having a Chick-Fil-A night on April 6 to raise funds for its Relay for Life event. Come help by ordering food and saying you are with PHS.
  • The Girls in Compsci Club will be having a meeting on April 6, 10 and 11 after school in room 1262 for AP Computer Science exam prep and an introduction to programming robots.
  • The PHS Anime Club will be meeting in Ms. Middleton’s learning cottage in room 3201 on Thursday, April 13, from 4:15-4:50 p.m. to compete in an anime opening showdown! Come test your knowledge and skills against other worthy opponents.
  • Guatemalan Bracelet Sales continue- help them reach their goal of $1000.

Holidays in April

Child Abuse Awareness Month/National Poetry Month/ Stress Awareness Month
April 2: World Autism Acceptance Day: Wear red!
April 5- 13: Passover: A Jewish holiday commemorating the exodus of the Jews from slavery in Egypt.
April 6: Maundy Thursday: It commemorates Jesus’ last supper with his disciples and the institution of the Lord’s Supper
April 7: Good Friday: Good Friday is one of the most important days in the Holy Week, which begins on Palm Sunday and ends on Easter Sunday. In short, Good Friday marks the crucifixion and death of Christ. On this day, many Christians reflect upon Christ’s sacrifice for their sins.
April 9: Easter Sunday: In the Bible, it is the day when Mary Magdalene found an empty tomb in the cave in which Jesus had been placed following his death by crucifixion on the previous Friday.
April 14: Bengali New Year (Bangladesh) and Pathandu (Tamil New Year): Though not purely a religious festival, Puthandu does hold special significance to Hindus as it is said to be the day that the Hindu god of creation, Lord Brahma, started creation.
April 14: Ambedkar Jayanti (India.) Celebrates the life of Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar: He is fondly known as the “Father of the Indian Constitution,” and was instrumental in shaping the democratic structure of India.
April 21-23: Eid-al-Fitr: The Festival of Fast-breaking, is an important religious holiday celebrated by Muslims worldwide that marks the end of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting.
April 22: End of Ramadan
April 23: Earth Day

Sports schedules

Thursday, April 6
5 p.m. JV Green Softball vs. Little Elm
6 p.m. JV White Baseball vs. Boyd
7 p.m. Varsity Softball vs. Little Elm
7:30 p.m. Varsity Baseball vs. Boyd

Friday, April 7 – No events.

Saturday, April 8 – No events.

Sunday, April 9 – No events.

Monday, April 10
5 p.m. JV Silver Baseball vs. Centennial
6 p.m. JV White Baseball vs. Braswell

Tuesday, April 11
8 a.m. JV Girls Track vs. 5-6A District Meet
8 a.m. Varsity Boys Track vs. District Track Meet
8 a.m. Varsity Girls Track vs. 5-6A District Meet
8 a.m. Varsity Boys Tennis vs. Regional Tournament
8 a.m. Varsity Girls Tennis vs. Regional Tournament
9 a.m. JV Boys Track vs. District Track Meet
4:30 p.m. JV Green Baseball vs. Braswell
5 p.m. JV Green Softball vs. McKinney Boyd
7 p.m. Varsity Softball vs. McKinney Boyd
7:30 p.m. Varsity Baseball vs. Braswell

Wednesday, April 12
8 a.m. JV Girls Golf vs. JV District 5 6A Tournament
8 a.m. JV I Boys Golf vs. JV District 5-6A Tournament
9 a.m. JV Girls Track vs. 5-6A District Meet
9 a.m. Varsity Boys Track vs. District Track Meet
9 a.m. Varsity Girls Track vs. 5-6A District Meet

Uplifting

Last week SkillsUSA traveled to Corpus Christi to compete at the state competitions. Students competed in Additive Manufacturing and Medical Assisting, and prepared exhibits in 2D/3D Animated Short Film, Web Page Design, Engineering Design, and Health Sciences. Students all won State Superior Awards! If you see any of these students please congratulate them on their achievement: Brielle Brown, Ashley Lane, Braden Lopez, Niva Malthankar, Anish Moilla, Bryan Nam, Rohit Rakshan Palanikumar, Shriyans Pendli, Puranjay Prashanth, Cheralatan Saravanan, Allison Shao and Manish Sriram.

Prosper TechnoTalons 9105 is currently the HIGHEST ranked rookie team in the state of Texas. They received the Highest Rookie seed and Rookie All-Star wards. They also have a finalist nominee for the prestigious Woodie Flowers Award for mentoring Mr. Stephen Phillips.

Prosper RoboTalons 5411 was 3rd alliance captain and received the top award for Engineering Inspiration. In addition to the robot competition at state they also earned a spot to compete for the Engineering Inspiration state award. RoboTalons also received a nominee for the prestigious Woodie Flowers Award for mentoring Mrs. Elizabeth Phillips.