News Brief: Deadlines approach with inclement weather, course selection, scholarships

Amanda Hare

A graphic introduces a news brief covering upcoming deadlines for students. Inclement weather is predicted for this Thursday and Friday, Feb. 3 and 4. Course selection closes Friday, Feb. 4.

Amanda Hare, Executive Editor-in-Chief

Upcoming Weather

As meteorologists report the possibility of a freeze Thursday and Friday, Feb. 3 and 4, principal John Burdett sent an email discussing the school’s weather procedures.

WFAA predicts that the Wednesday evening temperatures will drop below freezing, and “may not” rise above freezing until Friday afternoon. Rain may become freezing rain, then sleet, then snow from Wednesday evening to Thursday morning. WFAA also predicts that accumulation of ice and snow may occur, with hazardous travel “looking possible” Wednesday night to Thursday. WFAA reported the weather shouldn’t be as bad as last February, but localized power outages are possible.

An important rule of thumb to note is, if there is no announcement from Prosper ISD, then classes will be held on a normal schedule.

— Principal Dr. John Burdett

In the email, Burdett said district officials monitor the weather overnight and in the early morning. When deciding whether to cancel, delay, or dismiss school early, the district considers the “health, safety, and welfare” of students and staff, the “safe transport” of students and staff to school, and teenage drivers on the roads and their safety. Prosper does not offer an online school option in place of inclement weather days.

“When inclement weather threatens normal school operations, the following steps are taken,” Burdett said. “District officials evaluate the roadways and travel conditions across the district. The superintendent consults with Prosper ISD transportation staff and district safety and security personnel. After taking into account all the information that is received from external and internal sources, the superintendent will make a decision as early as possible whether to delay or cancel school.”

If a decision is made to cancel school, delay school, or dismiss school early, the district will notify parents using Blackboard Connected which will send out email, phone and text notification alerts. The district website will be updated, as well. The information will be updated on social media as well.

• Prosper ISD Twitter: @ProsperISD
  • Prosper ISD Facebook
  • Prosper Instagram: @prosper_isd
  • Local television stations
  • Local radio stations

“Because of the uncertainty of weather conditions, we ask that parents and staff monitor local media, the Prosper ISD website, and email before heading to school or sending children to the bus stop,” Burdett said. “An important rule of thumb to note is, if there is no announcement from Prosper ISD, then classes will be held on a normal schedule.”

Course Selection

As the spring semester continues, course selection is due for students Friday, Feb. 4.

In Skyward, students must choose eight courses and three alternates. Students can watch a course selection video here.

The counselors will have individual meetings with students where they verify graduation requirements. They will meet with students on different dates based on their grade:

• Juniors – February 17 – 24 through English 3 classes
  • Sophomores – March 17 – 22 through World History classes
  • Freshman – April 19 – 22 through World Geography classes

Senior Activities and Scholarships

A month after it opened, the Prosper Education Foundation scholarship application will close Wednesday, Feb. 2 at 4 p.m.

PEF will give out $250,000 to students who plan to attend a traditional college or university, community college or a trade school. Students can find the application here.

Seniors can order their senior shirts before Feb. 18 on My School Bucks here.

Graduation Celebration will occur May 20 from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. at the 3 R’s Ranch. Students can order Early Bird tickets until Feb. 15, when the prices will increase. More information can be found here.