“Shattered Dreams” deadline gets extension

According to the US Centers for Disease Control, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver.

According to the US Centers for Disease Control, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. "Shattered Dreams," a program that will occur in the spring semester before prom, informs students, parents and the community on the hazards of drinking and driving. "This year it will be like it was in 2015,” Brantley said. “It will be staged out front, and we’re going to have an ambulance come in.”

Haley Stack

Haley Stack

Haley Stack

Ryan Stanley, Reporter

UPDATE – The “Shattered Dreams program committee has extended its deadline for applications. See the original article below for details on the program. The Google form application will be closing soon. In addition, Associate Superintendent Holly Ferguson said freshmen and sophomores are welcome to apply, but juniors and seniors will be considered first.

The “Shattered Dreams” program organizers are looking for student participants whose individual acting and role-playing work may have a real impact on the number of lives lost in alcohol-related accidents. The application window ends Friday, Nov. 16.

The program aims to inform students and parents about the dangers of drinking and driving. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, 29 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. “Shattered Dreams,” which has a goal of taking that number to zero deaths, will be a precursor to prom and will be held Tuesday, Mar. 26.

“It was started to try and make awareness to students about drinking and driving,” Assistant Principal Julie Brantley said. “We wanted to use it in reference  mainly to prom and then again at graduation.”

Students must be juniors or seniors to participate, and they are required to complete a one-page essay along with the application. Students can request applications in the office.

“This year it will be like it was in 2015,” Brantley said. “It will be staged out front, and we’re going to have an ambulance come in.”

In addition, students who are a part of the event will attend an overnight retreat after the demonstration.

“The purpose of the student retreat is to increase student knowledge regarding the consequences and myths surrounding youth alcohol use,” associate superintendent Holly Ferguson said. “The retreat also provides a temporary feeling of loss for the parents of Shattered Dreams participants.”

Ferguson said more than 175 schools have implemented the program and several schools have conducted a program evaluation.

“More than 2,000 students have completed surveys before and after participating in the program (pre-test and post-test),” Ferguson said. “Results from these surveys indicate that student awareness of the risks and consequences of underage drinking and impaired driving increases after the program.”

Students can apply to play the role of the “Living Dead,” crash victims and the drunk driver. The “Living Dead” will be taken out of the classroom throughout the day by the “Grim Reaper.”

We are going to take the statistic of the number of students who lose their lives to drugs, alcohol and car crashes,” Brantley said. “We are going to pull out the students from the classroom to represent that, and they will have makeup done and go back to class.”

The program will be portrayed through a series of videos prior to the event. Audio/Video Production teacher Michael Logan said making the film will have a deeper and richer experience for the students.

“We will be producing short videos to show the school before the experience,” Logan said. “Afterwards we will combine that to make a full narrative video.”

The program aims to impact not only students but also parents and the community.

“If we can just get one child to realize that drinking and driving is not what you need to be doing in life,” Brantley said. “It’s going to impact people.”

About the Contributors
Ryan Stanley, Reporter

Ryan Stanley was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, and has lived in a variety of cities. He currently lives in Prosper, Texas, with his family. After high school,...

Haley Stack, Assistant editor

Haley Stack is a junior and this is her third year on the staff. She competes in UIL journalism and plays lacrosse for the city. One of her most treasured...

3 Comments

3 Responses to ““Shattered Dreams” deadline gets extension”

1. Will Skaehill on November 29th, 2018 2:15 pm

Is it possible for a sophomore to do shattered dreams. My dad is a police officer and I would love to help anyway I can

2. Lisa Roskens on November 29th, 2018 4:30 pm

Will, We will send your question to the committee.

3. Ryan Stanley on November 30th, 2018 10:51 am

You can submit an application, but Juniors and Seniors will be considered first. I added a link in the article above where you can fill out the online application.

• “Shattered Dreams” deadline gets extension

News

StuCo kicks off December with movies, popcorn, angels, memories

News

Video contest encourages students to ‘Take Care of Texas’

News

Local students receive award
    at Women’s Media Center gala

News

Community, organizations unite
    for suicide prevention

News

Girls receive pajama privilege
    while teams continue in playoffs

News

Students come together
    to stuff the bus

News

Preparing for the future

News

Theatre directors, students
    to present 8 ‘Seussical’ performances

News

Prosper stadium opens Aug. 1

News

Red Ribbon Week calls students to take stand