Review: Taylor Swift re-records ‘Speak Now’ album, surprises fans with new tracks

Singer recreates her 3rd studio album to regain rights
Erica Deutsch
The graphic above showcases Taylor Swift’s newest re-recorded studio album ‘Speak Now’ produced by Taylor Swift, Christopher Rowe, Aaron Dessner and Jack Antonoff. It was released on July 7 and contains 16 of the original tracks along with six new songs from the Vault. (Album cover by Republic Records)

For the past three years, Taylor Swift has dropped multiple of her past albums to regain her ownership rights. Recently, she dropped her third studio re-recorded album ‘Speak Now.’ Fans were anticipating this, and the crowd finally received it on July 7. This album focuses on her late teenage years, transitioning into adulthood, her perspectives on life, and her experiences in romance.

Track 1 “Mine

Sofia: 9/10

Mine is the first track on the album. From the beginning of the song, it’s easy to tell the difference in Swift’s more matured vocals. The song features similar vocals to her past country albums. This song is one of my favorites on the album, as it’s more of an upbeat love song, compared to some of her more somber and sad heartbreak tracks in Speak Now. In an interview, Swift states that “Mine” is a song about finding an exception in love and someone who helps you believe that the relationship will work out.

Track 2: “Sparks Fly

Erica: 10/10

Taylor’s second song, “Sparks Fly,” starts off with country and electro-pop harmony in the recreated album. She explains that the lyrics in this song are about falling in love with someone that you probably should not fall in love with. Her lyric, “My mind forgets to remind me, you’re a bad idea,” alludes to this idea. This is one of my favorites on the album. I like that the song is so upbeat and how the lyrics encompass her feelings for wishing to be with this person even though she knows it’s not a good idea. 

Track 3: “Back to December

Sofia: 10/10

From the beginning of the song, the starting melodies are similar to her first recording of the song, but there is a change that makes the song sound a lot more mature than the first recording. Swift’s vocals sound more mellow in the newest version, and it makes the song really heartfelt and emotional to listen to. “Back to December” is my favorite song on the album, and listening to it again as a re-recording has been very nostalgic to hear.

Track 4: “Speak Now

Erica: 9/10

This song is one of the more bitter-sweet ones on the album. The idea of this song was inspired by a friend of hers who thought she was going to end up with her high school sweetheart, but he ended up marrying someone else. The maturity in her voice is significant and adds to the emotion behind the lyrics. I found it unique how she used elements of a wedding to describe what it might be like for someone in the wedding to not approve of the marriage – like the ex.

Track 5: “Dear John

Sofia: 8/10

“Dear John” is one of the more emotional songs on the album for Swift. Originally, she wrote it during a tough stage of her life, as she was going through a difficult breakup. This track has a slower tempo, and the lyrics express the heartbreak swift went through her breakup. In the song she reveals the confusion and sadness she felt throughout this time – as well as a feeling of regret for not knowing how this relationship was going to end.

Track 6: “Mean

Erica: 7/10

Right from the beginning, the maturity in Swift’s vocals gives the song a confident and strong approach to the message. She wrote this song as a response to those who criticized her in a rude way. Some of the melodies of this song are similar to those in her earlier album, Fearless, as it provides more of that country folk element.

Track 7: “The Story of Us

Sofia: 10/10

This song starts off with an upbeat and even rock-y melody. This song is another one of my favorites on the album. I love the way Swift’s voice sounds with her more mature vocals. In an interview, Swift explained that this was the last song on the album, and she wrote it after running into someone she had been in a relationship with, but neither one of them said anything to each other – even though Swift wanted to. The lyric “Is it killing you, like it’s killing me?” expresses Swift’s feelings during her encounter.

Track 8: “Never Grow Up

Erica: 10/10

“Never Grow Up” is another heartfelt and nostalgic track on the album. It encompasses all the feelings of remembering childhood and looking back and wishing everything would have stayed the same as it did then. I really love how she references different memories from her childhood to add a really personal and emotional touch. The slow, but charming harmony of the song perfectly fits the way it feels to revisit memories of being a young kid.

Track 9: “Enchanted

Sofia: 10/10

“Enchanted” contains a very majestic melody throughout the entire song. This song is very sweet and expresses the feeling of crossing paths with someone you hit it off with. Throughout the song, it depicts a feeling of ‘daydreaming’ whether or not a relationship would work out.

Track 10: “Better Than Revenge

Erica: 10/10

The pop-punk melody of this song conveys Swift’s frustration and feelings when the person she was with was taken away from her by another girl. I like that she is so honest and vulnerable through her lyrics. There is a confident edge and uniqueness to the song that makes it one of my favorites on the track. The lyric change in this song from the original strongly expresses her feelings of wanting revenge which is so present throughout.

Track 11: “Innocent

Sofia: 9/10

“Innocent” is one of Swift’s saddest songs on this album. I love the way her vocals shine in this song. The track expresses the feeling of growing up and moving into a new phase of life. The lyrics encourage someone who has done wrongdoings in the past that they shouldn’t let go of their innocence. Swift focuses the song on reassuring that “Who you are is not what you did” and someone’s past doesn’t define who they are now as a person.

Track 12: “Haunted

Erica: 9/10

This song has a more of a dark melody and the medium to fast tempo change throughout expresses elements of music fitted for a haunted theme like this one. Swift sings about someone who is falling out of love with her and the feelings of heartbreak and tragedy that go along with it. I like that throughout this album she includes so many different stages of her life and uses aspects of seasons of nature and holiday themes to portray her emotions.

Track 13: “Last Kiss

Sofia: 10/10

The slow tempo of the harmony, in the beginning, expresses the heartfelt mood of the song. I’ve always felt like this song has always been one of the most heartbreaking to listen to. The lyrics explain how two people grow apart after circumstances change, and they go their different ways.

Track 14: “Long Live

Erica: 10/10

Long Live is another heartfelt song with a combination of rock and country that makes it upbeat. In an interview, Swift explains that this is the first love song she has written to her team of people that have helped her get to the point to where she is today along with her fans. Her lyrics “we will be remembered” allude to this idea and is a celebration to everything they have accomplished over the years. I really like the melody and how she uses metaphors of fantasy in the lyrics, making it another one of my favorites.

Track 15: “Ours

Sofia: 7/10

The song “Ours” is a very light-hearted song, and the melody is very soft throughout the entire song. She incorporates the banjo, and other instruments that tie back to her country albums. This song reminds me a lot of the track “Mean” as they both have very similar instruments used in the music.

Track 16: “Superman

Erica: 8/10

The beginning melody with drums and electric guitar adds a nice and unique touch to the song. This track is about adoring someone and thinking of them as a hero. The lyrics explain that this person has the qualities of someone who could be a superhero and how Swift waits for him to come back for her in the end.

Track 17: “Electric Touch” (ft. Fallout Boy)

Sofia: 10/10

This is one of my favorite vault tracks, I love the electric guitar that she implemented throughout the song. It made the song very upbeat and fun to listen to. The lyrics describe how a relationship can go in two ways: either good or bad. Fallout Boy and Swifts vocals complimented each other throughout the song making it a great listen.

Track 18: “When Emma Falls in Love” 

Erica: 10/10

“When Emma Falls in Love” is about all the complicated thoughts that could occur when a girl starts to fall in love with someone. The beginning lyrics are sort of heartbreaking as they describe all the doubt and sadness that can envelope when someone is falling in love but has been through a lot of heartaches before. The lyrics eventually become more hopeful as this girl finds someone who she loves and who is the right person. I love the piano entrance and how the lyrics are so unique along with mood shifts throughout.

Track 19: “I Can See You

Sofia: 10/10

“I Can See You” is another great vault track from the album. Swift featured Joey King, and Taylor Lautner in her music video. Overall, I enjoyed listening to Swift’s vocals throughout the entire song, as it is very different from other songs she’s released throughout her albums.

Track 20: “Castles Crumbling” (ft. Hayley Williams)

Erica: 10/10

“Castles Crumbling” is one of the sadder songs on the album, but is also one of my favorites from the vault. This song explains Swift’s fears while she was growing up in the public eye throughout her career. The lyrics display her concerns through the line, “people look at me like I’m a monster”, which is similar to her song Anti-Hero. Her higher vocals and softer melody give the song a somber tone. I really love how honest and vulnerable the lyrics are and her vocals really come through to create such a meaningful and heartfelt song.

Track 21: “Foolish One

Sofia: 10/10

“Foolish One” is another one of Swift’s more soft and playful toned songs on the album. Swift sings about how when you are in love you can oversee the flaws in someone, or sometimes be ‘foolish’ enough to see that this is not going to be a healthy relationship.

Track 22: “Timeless

Erica: 10/10

The beginning starts off with a guitar solo and then goes into a soft melody. I love that the song goes from describing what two people’s love would have been like if they were in a different time period and how their love will still be strong even as they grow old together. The lyrics explain what it would be like when you find the right person and it is certain that they are meant for each other. This is one of my favorite’s from the vault and I love how it’s so heartfelt, rhythmic and overall, timeless.

The recreation brought a brand new and beautiful perspective of each and every song. The new tracks from the vault are unique and each one carries a special meaning. Speak Now Taylor’s Version was definitely worth the wait.