Orchestra to perform
fall concert Oct. 18

Haley Medeiros

The orchestra members practice Wednesday for their upcoming concert on Oct. 18 at 6:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium. Student musicians Alejandra Maldonado and Warren Tseng advanced at the Region 24 All-Region auditions. “I’m extremely proud of them,” orchestra teacher Ronald Planks said. “Anyone that is familiar with the competition in Region 24, knows that it’s pretty intense.”

Haley Medeiros

The orchestra program’s first concert of the year will be in the high school auditorium Thursday, Oct. 18, starting at 6:30 p.m.

In addition to the full orchestra, the stage’s musicians at this fall concert will include senior Alejandra Maldonado and sophomore Warren Tseng, who advanced at the Region 24 All-Region Orchestra auditions. 

“Region is the first step for a high school musician to pass to All-State,” orchestra teacher Ronald Planks said. “We have ‘All-Region’, then we have ‘All-Area’, and then we have ‘All-State’, which is a meeting of the absolute best players in the state of Texas.”

Maldonado has a seat in the “Philharmonic Orchestra,” playing the violin, and Tseng is the first alternate for the “String Orchestra,” playing the cello.

“In my division, about 100 tried out and only 16 players were selected for chairs, and only a few more were selected as alternates,” Tseng said. “With Plano and Frisco players, Region 24 becomes an extremely competitive region. It is very hard for smaller school districts like Prosper and Little Elm to beat players from the two dominating giants and make it into the Region 24 Orchestra.”

Planks said the upcoming concert will be different than previous ones.

“With Dr. Burdett’s support, we have a harp player this year,” Planks said. “In my opinion, when you add harp, it elevates the orchestra to another level.”

Now that the orchestra program has a classroom to practice in, Planks said students feel like they have a home now.

“It’s not just about the music, but about the bonds and friendships we share as an orchestra,” Tseng said. “We are really just one big family, and we all do our best to provide the most quality music to play for the community.”