Eagle Brief March 2 – 16

With+instruments+in+hand%2C+the+Rushing+Concert+Band+1+performed+their+UIL+pieces.+The+middle+school+Pre-UIL+Competition+was+hosted+at+Prosper+High+School.+I+think+we+did+great%2C+seventh+grader+Giulianna+Galante+said.+This+practice+was+great%2C+and+allowed+us+to+prepare+for+the+real+thing.+

Gianna Galante

With instruments in hand, the Rushing Concert Band 1 performed their UIL pieces. The middle school Pre-UIL Competition was hosted at Prosper High School. “I think we did great,” seventh grader Giulianna Galante said. “This practice was great, and allowed us to prepare for the real thing.”

Eagle Update & Resources

ENN

ENN
ENN

Upcoming

Come to the music producers and musicians club! Here you can work with fellow musicians to hone your craft, whether it’s with guitar, piano, Ableton Live, etc. If you play music, there’s a place for you! We meet ‘A’ days only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays after school from 4:15 to 5:15 p.m. in the AV tech room 1151. (Music Producers and Musicians Club)
  • March 6 – 10 is spring break.
  • Cheer tryouts end March 3.
  • Eagle Nation Online newspaper is one out of 24 newspapers nominated for the Pacemaker award from the National Scholastic Press Association for the second year in a row.
  • Prosper High School Theatre presents their UIL OAP production of “Violet Sharp” Tuesday, March 14 at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium. Tickets are $5 cash or check.
  • Join the PHS CS Club to get a glimpse of the amazing world of Computer Science! In this club, students learn fun new concepts and have opportunities to compete. Check it out at their next meeting March 2, from 4:15 – 4:45 p.m., in room 1260.
  • Come to the music producers and musicians club! Here you can work with fellow musicians to hone your craft, whether it’s with guitar, piano, Ableton Live, etc. If you play music, there’s a place for you! We meet ‘A’ days only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays after school from 4:15 to 5:15 p.m. in the AV tech room 1151.

Sports schedules

The sports schedule is very full over the next two weeks, so not all games are listed: the most recent events have been highlighted below.

• Boys regional powerlifting qualifiers will be held Saturday at Keller Central.
  • Thursday, March 2
    8 a.m. Varsity Boys Tennis vs. McKinney North Pool Play
    8 a.m. Varsity Girls Tennis vs. McKinney North Pool Play Tournament
    11 a.m. JV White Baseball vs. Lonestar
    11 a.m. Varsity Softball vs. Weatherford
    1 p.m. JV White Baseball vs. Jesuit
    1 p.m. Varsity Softball vs. Colleyville Heritage
    1:30 p.m. JV Green Softball vs. Plano
    3 p.m. Varsity Baseball vs. Edmond Santa Fe
    3 p.m. JV Green Softball vs. Marcus
    4:30 p.m. JV Green Baseball vs. Memorial
    6 p.m. Varsity Baseball vs. Deer Creek
    6:20 p.m. JV Green Baseball vs. Lake Dallas

Uplifting

Four PHS students won the state championship last week in the UIL Academics competition for traditional animation. Seniors Giovanni Spampinato, Michael Soler, Eliana Hamilton and freshman Rocco Spampinato created an animation over the span of four months. Last week they were awarded first in state. The film can be found on the Eagle Production Group’s YouTube channel. Congratulations to these talented young animators! An article on the production group can be found here.

Eagle Nation Online newspaper is one out of 24 newspapers nominated for the Pacemaker award from the National Scholastic Press Association for the second year in a row.

More of March

Here’s a list from teacher Karla Reyes to help look ahead to all of the March events recognized by individual and collective groups of students, who are from here as well as countries around the world:

March is Women’s History Month: Women’s History Month is an annual declared month that highlights the contributions of women to events in history and contemporary society.

March 1st: Baba Marta, or Granny March, (Bulgaria) ends the cold winter and ushers in the beginning of spring. Baba Marta is a mythical figure who brings with her the end of the cold winter and the beginning of spring. To honor and commemorate the occasion, people exchange martenitsa, red-and-white interwoven strings, to bring health and happiness during the year ahead.

March 2nd: Texas Independence Day: The celebration of the adoption of the Texas Declaration of Independence on March 2, 1836. With this document signed by 59 delegates, settlers in Mexican Texas officially declared independence from Mexico and created the Republic of Texas.

March 3rd: Hinamatsuri, The Japan Dolls Festival, also called the ‘doll festival or momo no sekku (peach festival) is a traditional and unique celebration originating from Japan.

March 8th: Holi: Observed on sundown of Monday, March 6th ending at sundown on Tuesday, March 7th. Also called the festival of sharing and love or the festival of colors. It is a Hindu two day festival in the Spring.  The holiday is considered an opportunity to start over, let go of past mistakes, welcome new love, and heal broken relationships.

March 17th: St Patrick’s Day: Wear green! Saint Patrick’s Day, or the Feast of Saint Patrick, is a cultural and religious celebration held on 17 March, the traditional death date of Saint Patrick, the foremost patron saint of Ireland.

March 22: Ramadan observed by Muslims worldwide as a month of fasting, prayer, reflection, and community. Ramadan in 2023 is expected to fall on the evening of March 22. If this is the case, the 30-day annual fast will end on Friday, April 21, with the start of Eid Al-Fitr falling on the same day.