Middle schoolers can attend debate camp

23

1

Isabella Abraham, Copy Editor

Students entering 6th-9th grade can attend a debate summer camp July 9-11 at the high school. Each day of the camp will run from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Since the camp will provide supplies and snacks, there is a fee of $125 if students are registered by June 15. If registered after June 15, but before June 25, the fee is $175.

“We will teach students about various types of debate,” senior Zane Smith said. “At the end of camp they will have a real tournament with judges and awards.”

The camp is designed to expand on students’ skills, primarily on students’ public speaking and critical thinking abilities, while presenting them with the basics in high school debate.

“The camp is meant to be a fun and unique activity to do during the summer,” Smith said. “The camp aims to help middle schoolers decide if speech and debate classes and competitions are something they would like to pursue in high school.”

Classes will focus on the two main events, Public Forum Debate and Lincoln Douglass Debate, but students will also learn about other available events.

“We teach Public Forum Debate, a partner event designed to be understood by the general public, and Lincoln Douglass Debate, an individual event with more philosophical debates,” Smith said. “There will be seminars and lectures over the other events the high school team competes in.”

Debate camp is an option for young students interested in taking debate in high school and those looking to enhance their existing speech skills.

“Debate camp is a great opportunity to build lasting friendships,” Smith said. “[Students will] begin to experience an activity that builds many useful skills for the future.”

previous debate camps
photos courtesy Zane Smith