Senior Column: Executive Editor thanks friends, shares love

Amanda Hare

A digitally constructed image shows senior Amanda Hare in her senior year. Hare has been on the Eagle Nation Online newspaper staff for three years, and served as the Executive Editor-in-Chief this year. “As graduation approaches, I can only hope I’ve made everyone proud,” Hare said in the attached column. “As I’ve grown, I’ve learned to lean into what I love, and share it with others. Everyone around me knows I love Marvel, Taylor Swift and coffee, and I hope I’ve inspired others to share what gives them joy. That’s my advice to everyone, love freely.” (Pictured are seniors Alyssa Clark, Gabriella Winans, Tiana Albino, Emily Cox, Emily Strong, Jasmine Henriquez, ENO adviser Lisa Roskens, Christine Hare, Barry Hare)

A collage shows senior Amanda Hare with her family Joshua, Barry and Christine Hare when she was younger. Hare thanked her family for supporting her throughout high school. “Thank you for celebrating all of my accomplishments and encouraging me,” Hare said. “I’m lucky to have you in my corner.” (Photos Courtesy of Amanda Hare)

As my time to leave the school – and Eagle Nation Online – approaches, I only know one thing: I want to be remembered by the things I love. 

Yes, I got that from Taylor Swift, but it’s true. I want my classmates to remember me for making them laugh. I want my friends to remember me for all of our fun times and my weird obsessions. And I want Eagle Nation Online to remember me for my intense love and dedication to the paper and the people behind it. 

There’s so much to say to everyone around me, so I’ll start simple: Thank you for a wonderful four years.

In Windsong Ranch, senior Amanda Hare holds up her decorated graduation cap. Next year, Hare will attend Texas A&M University to double major in marketing and business honors and minor in journalism. “I’m going to miss Prosper, but I can’t wait for next year,” Hare said. “A&M was my top choice school, so I was super excited when I was accepted into their business honors program.” (Photo Courtesy of Amanda Hare)

I first want to talk about journalism. I started journalism as a freshman, and found a home in Eagle Nation Online when I joined the staff. Journalism has allowed me to grow so much, and I’m incredibly thankful for all it has taught me. I started as a shy 14 year old, and now I’m much more outgoing and ready to enter the world after graduation. Eagle Nation Online is my baby, and it will be tough to let go of after graduation, but I’m excited to continue reading through college.

Nothing compares to the support of the newspaper staff. Every day, I look forward to going to the newspaper class period and seeing everyone. I love celebrating everyone’s wins, editing, and teaching the underclassmen. The newspaper period can be so productive, but it’s always a party. Thank you for being the brightness in my day between boring AP classes. I’ll never forget the lessons I’ve learned in Eagle Nation Online, but I’ll also never forget the fun we’ve had together.

I’d like to thank the younger staff members for inspiring me to be better, so that I can be a role model to them. You guys are seriously so cool, and I always enjoy being with you. I’ve seen you all grow so much in the past year, and I’m so, so, so proud of you.

At the Quill and Scroll induction ceremony, seniors Julia Chung, Alyssa Clark, Gabriella Winans, Amanda Hare, Christi Norris and Caleb Audia take a picture. Chung, Clark, Winans, Hare and Norris make up the Eagle Nation Online Editorial Board. “For the Editorial Board, specifically, I appreciate how you’ve all helped make this paper the best it’s ever been,” Hare said in the attached column. “You guys are some of my best friends, and you’ve made my senior year so fun.” (Photo Courtesy of Amanda Hare)

As for my fellow seniors, you are what has made ENO so fun over the past three years. I can’t believe how much we’ve all grown together, and none of my successes would be possible without any of you. I’ve learned so much from your advice and just by looking at your work. 

For the Editorial Board, specifically, I appreciate how you’ve all helped make this paper the best it’s ever been. You’ve all gone above and beyond your specific titles and roles to support other editors and unite the staff. You guys are some of my best friends, and you’ve made my senior year so fun.

My hardest goodbye after graduation will definitely be our journalism adviser, Lisa Roskens. Mrs. Roskens, you’ve been there for me for four years now, and I can’t express enough how much I appreciate you. You’ve gone above and beyond your role as a teacher, to care for all of us like your own children. Your daily acts of kindness never go unnoticed, and your support and teachings are the reason I’ve grown so much. I’m not sure what I’ll do in college without your classroom always open for me.

Holding her Journalist of the Year plaque, senior Amanda Hare stands with Barry Hare, Christine Hare and journalism adviser Lisa Roskens. Hare was named the 2022 Texas State Journalist of the Year by the Texas Association of Journalism Education. “My hardest goodbye after graduation will definitely be Mrs. Roskens,” Hare said in the attached column. “Mrs. Roskens’ support and teachings are the reason I’ve grown so much. I’m not sure what I’ll do in college without your classroom always open for me.” (Photo Courtesy of Amanda Hare)

On behalf of ENO, I want to thank our readers. You are the reason we do this, and we appreciate every read, comment and social media like. We’re nothing as journalists without great stories to cover, so thank you for helping us share all of your stories. 

Another influential part of my high school career has been University Interscholastic League journalism competitions. I’ve been competing in UIL since before I joined newspaper, and it’s easily my favorite part of high school. I love the intense pressure of the competition while doing what I’m passionate about: writing. I love anxiously waiting for awards with the team, and I love pouring over judges comments so I can improve for the next competition.

Our last state UIL competition ended last week, and I’m going to miss it so much. I’ll miss the crazy prompts, the long competitions, and competing with my best friends. To next year’s UIL team, enjoy the experience, it’s cliche to say it goes by faster than you think, but it does.

Finally, I’d like to thank my friends. 

Thank you Tiana for standing by my side for the past five years, and listening to my crazy rants and obsessions. There’s no one else I’d rather get lunch with. 

Thank you Gabby for understanding me, and sharing my love for Marvel. There’s no one else I’d rather watch a Marvel movie with. 

Thank you Alyssa for your kindness, I always love laughing with you at lunch. There’s no one else I’d rather eat a grilled cheese with. 

Holding up gold and silver medals, seniors Amanda Hare and Gabriella Winans take a picture at the regional UIL meet. Hare and Winans both competed at this year’s state UIL meet where they placed and tied for second as a team. Hare and Winans first met in sixth grade, and now work together on the Eagle Nation Online Editorial Board. (Gabriella Winans)

Thank you Morgan for helping me through Environmental Science and letting me laugh at your many food disasters. There’s no one else I’d rather run into at Panera and Starbucks. 

Thank you Caleb for never failing to make me laugh. There’s no one else I’d rather be a “TAMU Barb” with.

And thank you to everyone else, for making my senior year the best year yet. This past year has been the funnest, and it’s because of everyone I see every day. I’m confident that the friends I’ve grown closer to this year, will be my friends for years to come.

As graduation approaches, I can only hope I’ve made everyone proud. As I’ve grown, I’ve learned to lean into what I love, and share it with others. Everyone around me knows I love Marvel, Taylor Swift and coffee, and I hope I’ve inspired others to share what gives them joy. 

That’s my advice to everyone, love freely. 

With love,

Amanda Hare, signing off of Eagle Nation Online for the final time.