• June 3Staff ends regular, daily publishing for 2023-24 school year. Watch for new publications to come in 2024-25!

Column: Writer shares passion for biking

Junior Erica Deutsch reflects on nature, exercise
Erica Deutsch
Stopping for a glance along Miami Beach, junior Erica Deutsch rides along the Florida Coastline with her dad. “This was one of my favorite rides,” Deutsch said. “It’s always fun to explore new biking trails everywhere I go and see new scenery.”

As I push against the wind, pedaling harder and harder, the tires turning, I’m reminded of  how rewarding it all feels. Whether it’s discovering a new biking trail, or just going for another round around the neighborhood, riding bikes has always been something that keeps me active – but also has helped me therapeutically. 

Being out in nature and outside already lifts my mood on any day. Even just taking my dog for a walk, and doing anything I can to get outside on a nice day provides me with a sense of peace. When I’m outside, I like to be active – so for me, riding my bike has given me that adrenaline rush and workout I want. It allows me to take my mind off of other things going on in my life and just focus on the scenery around me, and the push and drive it gives me to keep going even when my legs hurt.  

As they ride along South Beach junior Erica Deutsch and her dad stop for a quick photo. “This is something I really enjoy doing with my dad,” Deutsch said. “We always like to push ourselves to see how many miles we can go and it’s something we have done ever since I was really little.” (Erica Deutsch)

Bike riding isn’t something I just enjoy doing alone. As the two most athletically endurable people in the family, me and my dad have bonded over long bike rides around the neighborhood. We’re also always discovering new biking paths around us and whenever we go on vacation, we like to find places to get a bike ride in. There is absolutely nothing like riding along the beach. Over winter break, we visited Florida and rode on rental bikes on Miami Beach and it was one of my favorite rides we’ve been on. Each time we always try to break our record of how many blocks we’ve rode or how many miles we’ve gone. 

One of the most epic and rewarding rides we’ve been on was when we rode down Pike’s Peak Mountain in Colorado. I know it sounds crazy and dangerous, but it was one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. We had a tour guide that took us up to the very top of the mountain by bus. We began our ride a few miles from the Summit, stopping along the way with our tour guide in front and leading the way. There were some very difficult parts that I am really proud I pushed myself through.

Looking out to the mountains, junior Erica Deutsch rides down Pikes Peak Mountain in Colorado. Pike’s Peak is one of the tallest Mountains in Colorado Springs, Colorado. It stands at 14,115 feet. (Erica Deutsch)

Despite us going down a mountain there were some steep hills to climb and we did ride on the edge of the road, but there was enough room to where it wasn’t as if we were going to fall off. 14,115 feet later we had accomplished something we never had before. It gave me a sense of achievement, and I knew if I could accomplish that, I could accomplish anything. 

Over the years, as school work has taken on more of a load, and I’ve gotten more busy, it’s been hard to find time to go on these rides together. As I get older, I hope to continue going on these rides with my dad, and spend as much time with him and the rest of my family before I go off to college in a year. For me, this activity has brought me closer to the ones I love, and we occasionally go on family bike rides – if my brother and mom can keep up with us. 

Finding opportunities to go outside whether it be going for a run, going on a bike ride, going on a walk, or even just admiring nature can bring someone a new found peace. It allows me to put my energy and thoughts into something else and clear my mind. The sense of fulfillment and joy it brings me to be closer with my family is unmatched and is something I will hold onto forever.