• May 13Regular daily publications have stopped for reviews & finals. Be watching, though, coverage resumes soon.

Senior Column: Editor-in-Chief looks back on experience and reflects

Juliana Cruz appreciates unforgettable memories of high school
Juliana Cruz
Senior Juliana Cruz reflects on her high school career as she continues her education at the University of Oklahoma. Cruz reminisces on her time at PHS, on the powerlifting team and her family. “I realized that the phrase, “everything happens for a reason” is a real thing,” Cruz said, “— and I’m a victim of it.”

The end of every chapter marks the beginning of the next. Any time you leave a school or move away from your home, you also move toward something new. Moving to Prosper, Texas from New York City wasn’t easy, and even though it took me some time to adjust, I can now honestly say that I am so grateful for the change. I realized that the phrase, “everything happens for a reason” is a real thing — and I’m a victim of it.

In my time at PHS, I got to meet so many amazing individuals, but I want to start with Lisa Roskens, my newspaper adviser, and one of the kindest souls to exist. Anyone that’s met Roskens knows that she talks a lot. I’d be absolutely shocked to meet someone more extroverted or more caring than her. She will push you hard and make sure you exceed her standards as well as your own. She doesn’t see failure, she only believes success because it’s the only thing that exists. It’s not success or failure in her book, it’s just success. So, if you end up in Mrs. Roskens’ class, just know that you’ll be taken care of.

Now, Prosper High School is filled with opportunities left and right, like the Lady Eagles Powerlifting team. I got to be on a team with amazing, strong young women like myself. I never thought after 16 years of living I would be on a team, and more specifically, a high school sports team. I was never big into sports as a kid, so I never imagined that at 16 years old I would claim “team member” as an important part of my identity or be fully immersed in the high school sports culture. I liked defying people’s expectations, seeing the look on their face when they find out. “You? In powerlifting?” Yes. I’ll never forget my coaches and my beautifully strong teammates. There is nothing like the thrill of screaming coaches telling you to pull and breathe, teammates cheering you on, and the feeling of accomplishment when you succeed. Coaches Brian Thompson and Devin Lemons were always there to yell instructions, celebrate your wins, and pick you up after your losses. They are two unforgettable coaches who taught me that it’s okay to be disappointed, but not to quit.

Nothing that’s happened in my journey so far would have been possible without my parents, and I’m so lucky to have them as I step into the next chapter of my life. My parents always strived for my education and encouraged me to pursue what my heart wants. They’ve never guided me in the wrong direction, but when I chose to get off track, it was for a lesson that won’t happen again, hopefully. My parents have always put me first, and they are truly my best friends. I’m terrified to leave them and I’ll miss them so much — whether it’s playing pickleball or just being couch potatoes. Even though I don’t always admit it, I’ll miss my siblings too. My siblings brought up my protective side since I was a kid; now who will protect them? My brother can’t even order at a restaurant, and my sister is too young to bring home a boyfriend. They gave me the opportunity to be a big sister, and I cannot ask for anything better than that in life (I hope they don’t read this).

Lastly, if anyone is scared to leave behind friends, it’s up to you to maintain those friendships. Leaving behind people isn’t a bad thing either, especially if you need a fresh start on friends — some people can use that. I’ve never had close friends until moving here, but I kept the ones that helped themselves and myself. I didn’t need the ones where I’d have to worry about being fake around them, and neither do you. Leaving friends should be the last thing on your mind. Just make summer memories and use your short breaks throughout the school year to make even more memories. Distance can also be your best friend, it might bring you guys closer, so enjoy it. The schools of fish at your next school will also be there for you to swim through. People will come to you. No more forcing friendships, just let the world take it where it needs to go — people come and go.

Signing off,

Juju.