• May 13Regular daily publications have stopped for reviews & finals. Be watching, though, coverage resumes soon.

Senior Column: Editor-in-Chief holds onto high school memories

Kaya Miller appreciates Eagle Nation Online, Prosper High School
Kaya Miller
In a digitally constructed image, a collage presents different photos from senior Kaya Miller’s final high school year. Miller was a Co-Editor-in-Chief this year and an ENO reporter for three years. “The newspaper allowed me to channel my creativity and passion into an outlet,” Miller said. “I found a love for sharing special people’s special stories. This love motivated my ability to feel comfort in speaking to strangers, asking questions about themselves, and valuing their quirks.”

As graduation approaches and my next step nears quickly, I want to take a moment to be present and soak up the final moments of my four years at Prosper High School. I can easily say I grew positively as I look back on my time in high school. I am so glad that I grew out of freshman year state of mind of ‘Kaya’s plans,’ which was to go far from home for college. I feel at ease that I will not have to fully say goodbye to my home of Prosper and memories as I will only be a short drive away from UT Austin but optimistic that it is only up from here.

In 2023, senior Kaya Miller photographs graduation with senior Riley McConnell and juniors Sofia Ayala and Erica Deutsch. Miller’s favorite event of the year to photograph is graduation. This year, instead of the Star Ford Center, graduation will be held at Prosper’s Children’s Health Stadium. (Courtesy of Lisa Roskens)

It feels cliche to say that my high school experience stemmed from the hidden gem of the school newspaper, but I feel it’s genuine. After spending a treacherous freshman year as a virtual student, I jumped into my high school experience by taking a chance at Eagle Nation Online. I found a home almost instantly with the editorial board’s welcome and Mrs.Roskens’ warmth. It does not feel like three years ago I was learning my harsh lesson of bringing extra camera equipment, how to write captions, and editing my writing with the ‘pros’ for the first time.

I had a home in room 1148 away from the stresses and responsibilities of high school. I had my extreme goals set on an Ivy League, and managing the extracurriculars and school load to meet their standards became overwhelming. I tested the debate team, DECA, Spanish Honor Society, Prosper Independent Career Study, student council, a multitude of clubs and honor societies, 15 AP classes, and even a rowing team — but, the one thing that stayed consistent was ENO. After quitting a good amount of the extracurriculars my senior year, I put my focus on enjoying my friendships and senior-year experience. My love for my job as a journalist continued in addition to my new priorities. Although I have accepted and am excited for my future path to UT Austin, instead of a far and prestigious private school, it feels odd that my priorities have changed so immensely. However, I definitely do not regret spending so much time bettering my well-roundedness and working hard. Plus, I found my best friends through these commitments. I was happy with the balance of my passions, school performance, and social life.

Eagle Nation Times print issue in hand, the ENO team prepares to drop off the freshman copies. Senior Kaya Miller worked with executive graphic designer and senior Tess Gagliano, and the rest of the team to create a “Student Guide” for 2027 freshmen. She also filmed a student tour of Prosper High School for the ENO YouTube channel. (Courtesy Lisa Roskens)

The newspaper allowed me to channel my creativity and passion into an outlet. I found a love for sharing special people’s special stories. This love motivated my ability to feel comfort in speaking to strangers, asking questions about themselves, and valuing their quirks. This newfound love was instilled by Mrs.Roskens who would reiterate “They would make a great feature story” for the smallest of fun facts about individuals.

The avenue of ENO also allowed me to live the high school experience to the fullest as most of my job was to carry out school pride by attending school events to photograph, telling staff and student stories, and staying informed on the local Prosper news. The end of this “job” feels incredibly bittersweet and I think it has yet to hit me. I have been so caught up in the cycle of “what’s the next publication?” that I forgot to appreciate that I was working beside some incredibly talented veteran teammates, passionate and curious novice reporters, and under a caring and supportive adviser.

During the top 10% banquet, senior Kaya Miller honors ENO adviser Lisa Roskens. Miller will attend UT Austin and major in public health on the pre law/public policy track. “Mrs.Roskens held a motherly figure role at PHS for her ENO reporters,” Miller said. “She provided pep talks and a safe classroom with loads of snacks.” (Kaya Miller)

The outlook and happiness I found from ENO carried into my relationships. I found myself creating long-lasting friendships that I plan to continue through college. Not to mention, my best friends and teachers who served as a dependable source if I was in a bind for a quote. Also, my family who would brainstorm ideas when I felt writer’s block and supported my writing by sharing my publications for others to read.

Most importantly, though, my definition of fulfillment shifted throughout my time at ENO and PHS. I started my sophomore year as a perfectionist who would suffer a breakdown if my work did not meet my exceptional standards. I soon learned that raw and genuine work and activity, especially if it made me happy did not measure up to work by my impossible standards. Awarded publications did not matter that much. Class rank did not matter. A perfect on-paper resume certainly did not matter. The passion I felt from writing a story mattered so much. The happiness I felt laughing with my friends in class mattered. The excitement I felt when I found my best-fit career path in public policy certainly mattered.

These four years have shaped me exceptionally, and I am anxiously excited about how the next four at UT will impact me.

With so much love,

Kaya Miller.