News brief: Homecoming presents festivities, spirit days

Kathleen Norris

Glittering in the light, a homecoming mum lays out in its feathery display. Homecoming week will be from Nov. 16 to Nov. 20. The homecoming football game is against Denton Braswell Nov. 20.

Emma Hutchinson, Chief Operating Officer

Update: As of Nov. 12, the homecoming parade is canceled.

Due to a surge of COVID-19 cases, Prosper moved its homecoming festivities to the week of Nov. 16-20. Here’s the rundown of all the spirit days and events:

Upcoming Preparations

The student council will host a poster-making party in the cafeteria Thursday, Nov. 12 from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Students must wear a mask and can bring their own paint or paintbrushes. Voting for homecoming court will begin on Monday, Nov. 16 and run through Wednesday, Nov. 18 at midnight. A link to the voting website can be found on the student council’s Instagram, and all classes can vote for any position.

View this post on Instagram

Come to our POSTER MAKING PARTY! Be sure to have your mask on! 💕

A post shared by Prosper High Student Council (@prosperstuco) on

Spirit Days

Monday, Nov. 16 – Pajama Day

Tuesday, Nov. 17 – Holiday/ugly sweater Day

Wednesday, Nov. 18 – Decades Day

Thursday, Nov. 19 – Color Wars (freshmen: black, sophomores: red, juniors: blue, seniors: white)

Friday, Nov. 20 – Spirit Day (Prosper/green/white)

According to John Hopkins University, Texas is the first US state to reach one million COVID-19 cases. Due to the increase of COVID-19 cases, the district has canceled this year’s homecoming parade. It will not be rescheduled, but they expect the parade event to return next year.

Homecoming Pep Rally/Game

The game will start at 7 p.m Friday, Nov. 20 against Denton Braswell. The homecoming pep rally will be held during the school day, following the after school activity schedule. Fans can refer to the PISD Stadium guidelines or the stadium policy news brief for information on ticket sales, acceptable bags and prohibited items. The homecoming court ceremony will begin at 6:40 p.m. prior to kick off.

News Brief: Homecoming changes due to COVID-19

Stadium puts in place ticket, spectator policy changes due to COVID-19