News Brief: Homecoming changes due to COVID-19

Cate Emma Warren

As the homecoming parade gets pushed back to Nov. 18, students have to wait to dress up and participate. This push back was caused by a surge in COVID-19 cases. “I think that admin has handled the craziness as best as they could,” junior Conner Frey said. “There have been tons of issues, but I really think that they have been doing a pretty decent job considering everything. I especially think that pushing hoco back was the best thing they could have done.”

Alyssa Clark, Social Media Director

Editor’s note: This article was written Oct. 22, 2020. It is not updated to the current changes in the homecoming schedule. 

After the announcement of the administration rescheduling the homecoming parade to Nov. 18, students will have to wait to break out their mums and garters, wait to watch the homecoming football game, and of course, wait to get dressed up and dance.

All of these aspects are a part of the traditions Homecoming brings. But this year, due to COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines, the parade has been pushed back to protect Prosper residents due to an increase in COVID-19 cases. Additionally, no candy or favors can be distributed during the parade.

“I think that admin has handled the craziness as best as they could,” junior Conner Frey said. “There have been tons of issues, but I really think that they have been doing a pretty decent job considering everything. I especially think that pushing hoco back was the best thing they could have done.”

There have been tons of issues, but I really think that they have been doing a pretty decent job considering everything. I especially think that pushing hoco back was the best thing they could have done

— junior Connor Frey

Originally, homecoming was meant to take place Oct. 17. But, after most Prosper ISD schools, including Prosper High School, saw an increase of COVID-19 cases, the date was pushed back. For many people, the possibility — though no certainty — of a dance is all they need to stay optimistic. For now, students await future announcements and updates that will come in the next weeks about activities that will and will not happen.

“This year’s homecoming will be different from the last years due to the stress of being near people with COVID,” senior Dempsey Jones said. “But I don’t mind ‘hoco’ being pushed back.”

While students will have to wait a few weeks before breaking out their dresses and suits, and glimpsing the feathered remnants of mums and garters all along the hallways, the anticipation remains.

“I think since it’s the start of flu season, the cases went up, so waiting a little longer for ‘hoco’ was probably the right move,” junior Paige Schultz said. “I am super excited for this year even though COVID is still around. It’s a nice distraction and a chance for things to be normal.”

Special events like the parade are another huge aspect of homecoming. For many student athletes and members of specific clubs, this is their way to interact with the community and spend some time together. Hannah Schultz, an active member on the varsity swim team, looks forward to the parade, even with the new date.

Are you going to be in or at the parade?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

“I was okay with the parade being pushed back, knowing it will be safer,” Schultz said. “More people will be able to come to the parade with less cases.”

According to the district, high school memories, like homecoming, should continue, but keeping everyone healthy comes before that. The district has provided many resources on COVID-19, like tips to stay healthy and special screening questions that can all be found on the district’s COVID-19 information page.

“My favorite part of homecoming is being able to spend time having fun and dancing with my friends,” Frey said. “I think homecoming will be handled well and allow people to feel as safe as they can.”

News brief: Homecoming presents festivities, spirit days