Theatre presents 1st virtual production with ‘Almost, Maine’

Cate Emma Warren

Sophomore Lauren Grammer performs while filming a scene for Almost, Maine. The production will be streaming on October 8, 9, and 10. “I think you can expect to see the dedication,” Grammer said. “There are going to be flaws, just like with any live show, but it was an adjustment period for everyone, and I believe the result is going to be good. We worked really hard, and I believe you can see that.”

“Almost, Maine,” the high school’s first-ever virtual production, has its opening night set for Oct. 8. The show will have performance viewings that will start on Thursday and continue through Saturday, Oct. 10.

Pullquote Photo

At the end of the day, we created art. We got together the safest way possible, and told a story and created something.

— director Jaime Joyce

For the past two months, Prosper Theatre has worked on the show. So far, according to director Jaime Joyce, the experiences have varied.

Senior Grayson Aron and junior CC Langston rehearse the final scene from the ‘Northern’ cast on zoom. The group of actors divided into two groups to showcase everyone’s talents. “Even though it’s online, I still prepared like a normal show,” Langston said. “I made sure that I knew all the blocking and that I had a solid character.” (Cate Emma Warren)

“It’s important that everyone watches it. This may be our ‘new normal’ for a while,” Joyce said. “It’s definitely a different format, for sure. It’s not good or bad, it’s just different.”

One element of traditional theatre remains true, though, even during a pandemic, Joyce said.

“I think the most important thing is that we are telling a story. The stories are what drive the show,” Joyce said. “I think there’s a character or a theme or moment that anyone can relate to in the show. A lot of what these characters go through, even if we haven’t lived it personally, we can at least empathize with.”

In addition to a plot, she said the play offers lessons to be learned.

“I think that as a society, we need to make sure that we are able to understand and empathize with each other, so that we can communicate more effectively and be able to share experiences and opinions, good and bad, positive and negative,” Joyce said. “This show has something for everyone. That’s what’s so great about it.”

According to Joyce, the cast and crew adapted well to the new conditions of moving their work online.

“At the end of the day, we created art. We got together the safest way possible, and told a story and created something,” Joyce said. “It’s just about being able to let the students have an opportunity to create and step away from everything, even if it’s just for a moment.”

More information about tickets and purchasing can be found here: https://www.prospertheatre.com/. All three of the performances will take place on Wirecast streaming network.

“I am very excited for people to see the video,” sophomore editor Kylie Green said. “I know I am going to put a lot of work into it. Letting people see it and satisfying them, would be my ultimate goal.”