Measles case reported in Prosper

Measles case reported in Prosper

A health alert has been issued by the Collin County Health Care Services after a contagious person was reported shopping at the Kroger on Preston Road, making this the 12th confirmed case of measles in the state of Texas this year. This is the second case for Collin County, with the first case involving a man who had traveled internationally. This photo was taken Monday, March 18, the day the outbreak was announced.

Paige Ruder, Reporter

Developing story

As flu season is coming to an end, Prosper residents may be facing a different threat: measles.

A health alert has been issued by the Collin County Health Care Services after a contagious person was reported shopping at the Kroger on Preston Road, making this the 12th confirmed case of measles in the state of Texas this year. This is the second case for Collin County, with the first case involving a man who had traveled internationally.

In this most recent case, a man, who is remaining anonymous, is said by the CCHCS to have shopped from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. on March 15. Kroger employees are urging concerned patrons who were shopping around that time to consult their doctor. Kroger employees were contacted for further response but were unable to comment.

With Kroger being so close to the high school, it is natural if students are a bit concerned for their health. However, the school has procedures set in place in case of a full-blown outbreak.

“If we have a confirmed case of measles, we have to contact the health department, and they’ll give us a specific guideline of what their measles protocol is,” says school nurse Susan Marino. “So we would call them, and they’re going to give us a step by step of what to do, as far as cleaning the classrooms, notifying parents, teachers, anybody who might be at risk.”

The CDC says that measles is caused by a highly contagious virus that is typically airborne for several hours. About 90 percent of people exposed to the virus will become infected, though this chance is reduced for those who have been vaccinated.

Symptoms of measles usually appear seven to 14 days after a person has been exposed to the virus, with the first symptoms ranging from typical high fever, cough, runny nose, and glassy eyes. As the disease progresses, tiny white spots called Koplik spots may appear inside the mouth and after three to five days a rash will develop. The disease is contagious four days before and four days after the development of this rash.

In severe cases, measles can lead to complications such as ear infection, bronchitis or laryngitis, pneumonia, inflammation of the brain, or issues with pregnancy.

If a person suspects they may have caught measles, they should take precautions such as quarantining themselves from other people to prevent spreading the virus.

About the Contributors
Paige Ruder, Reporter

Paige Ruder is a senior at Prosper High School and a reporter for Eagle Nation Online. She has lived in Prosper with her parents since her sophomore year...

Neha Madhira, Editor-In-Chief

Neha Madhira is a senior and Editor-in-Chief of Prosper High School's newspaper, Eagle Nation Online. She was accidentally moved into Journalism I as a...