Collin College, LeTourneau University to present dual credit information

Students+and+parents+attend+college+night+at+6+p.m.+Jan.+30.+It+is+not+required+to+attend+to+take+a+course.+However%2C+school+officials+recommend+those+interested+in+taking+these+courses+do+come+to+the+informational+meeting.+

Dedrick Buckels

Students and parents attend college night at 6 p.m. Jan. 30. It is not required to attend to take a course. However, school officials recommend those interested in taking these courses do come to the informational meeting.

Kennedy Wyles

Students and families interested in the dual credit program for the 2019-2020 school year can attend an informational presentation Jan. 30 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m in the high school cafeteria.  

Representatives from Collin College and LeTourneau University will present on the enrollment and registration process.

“I prefer how the dual credit professors teach over any AP (advanced placement) courses that I’ve taken in the past,” junior Jaycie Roth said. “I do recommend students take dual credit because it is less stressful, and the professors are great.”

Dual credit courses weight grades the same as AP do, except there is no test at the end of the year. Although, dual credit courses are only available to juniors and seniors.

“For dual credit, students earn both high school and college credit simply by completing the course,” assistant principal John Boehringer said. “For AP, high school credit is awarded for students who earn a passing grade, but to get college credit, they have to pass the AP exam, which can be very challenging.”

I took (dual credit) so I can get college credit. It is beneficial because you get to experience a college-level learning environment.

— Jaycie Roth

More information and paper documents will be available for pick-up in the counseling office and on the counselor’s web-page after the presentation. Dual credit permission forms are due to the counseling office March 1. The last day to register for classes is May 13.

Public colleges and universities in Texas have to (accept dual credit) as a matter of law,” Boehringer said. “Many public colleges out of state do, but it varies state to state and even college to college.”

According to school information, it is not required to attend the presentation, however it is highly recommended, especially for students in special programs such as the “Certified Nurse’s Assistant” and the “Emergency Medical Technician” courses.

“I took (dual credit) so I can get college credit,” Roth said. “It is beneficial because you get to experience a college-level learning environment.”