Preview of movies coming out in 2019

Preview of movies coming out in 2019

Paige Ruder, Columnist

2018 proved to be a disappointing year for movies. I know, I know, “but ‘Black Panther!’ But ‘A Star is Born!’ But ‘Infinity War!!’” And yeah, those movies are great–though I will say that “Black Panther” didn’t thrill me. Sue me. Not to mention “A Quiet Place,” “Deadpool 2” and one that I highly anticipated, “The Disaster Artist.” But I believe that 2019 is going to blow 2018 out of the water.

Here is just a fraction of the new movies coming out that I’m excited for.

*WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD*

Captain Marvel
Release Date: March 8, 2019

After the shock of “Infinity War,” Marvel fans are anxiously waiting for answers. Though this movie does not feature any of the Avengers cast and is set in the 90s, there will surely be easter eggs and hints as to what will happen in the next Avengers installment. This film will also be special to fans for sentimental reasons. Before his passing, Stan Lee allegedly filmed a cameo for both “Captain Marvel” and the new Avengers film. Neither of these are necessarily confirmed, though, so this movie may be the last cameo that we see from Stan Lee.

Us
Release Date: March 22, 2019

After seeing too many disappointing horror films in theaters, I thought I had sworn off seeing horror movies forever. This movie may change my mind. With Lupita Nyong’o as a lead role as well as Jordan Peele, the writer and director of “Get Out”, this film shows a lot of promise. Though the premise is fairly cliche, Lupita’s acting range, as well as the range of the other cast members, will bring some serious appeal to this movie. It’s interesting to see Lupita branching off from her more dramatic roles into other avenues like horror and comedy.

Avengers: Endgame
Release Date: April 26, 2019

From the trailer, we learn that Hawkeye is alive, meaning the entire Avengers team is alive and (somewhat) well. However, I don’t think this will last throughout the movie. Personally, my bet is that Tony Stark will perish in space. Now that the “Iron Man” series is wrapped up, it’s entirely plausible that Marvel would kill him off, especially since he was absent from the Spider-Man trailer and is only seen in the first part of the Endgame trailer. As for the rest of the team, I think it’s possible that one other person may die, but that’s also coming from someone who hasn’t read the comics, so take my prediction with a grain of salt.

Rocketman
Release Date: May 31, 2019

Following the box office success of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” it makes sense that studios would jump on the bandwagon to make more rockstar biopics. Being a fan of Elton John, I’m particularly excited about this one. However, the trailer disappointed me. Though I enjoy Taron Egerton’s performance in the Kingsman series, I don’t think he’s suited for this role. While Bohemian Rhapsody worked because both the acting and the vocals were on point, Egerton’s singing voice is weak compared to Elton’s. Also, with Elton John still alive and performing, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t just let him dub over some of the songs.

Toy Story 4
Release Date: June 21, 2019

To me, it kind of seems like Pixar is just trying to milk some more money out of this franchise. The story was wrapped up so well at the end of “Toy Story 3” that I feel there isn’t much room for expansion. Unless this film acts as more of a side story instead of continuing the main storyline, I don’t think this movie will do well. In fact, I think this movie may suffer the same fate as “Lion King 2:” being largely disregarded by fans. Or maybe it’ll be nostalgia fodder to those wanting just a bit of their childhood back.

Spider-Man: Far From Home
Release Date: July 5, 2019

It’s hard to talk about this film without spoiling the end of “Avengers: Infinity War,” but if you haven’t seen “Infinity War” yet, you probably don’t care enough about the Marvel universe to be offended if I spoil things. Spider-Man’s reappearance means that (spoiler!) Thano’s actions in “Infinity War” have been reversed, most likely allowing for the revival of most of the Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Winter Soldier, Falcon, and others. This is reinforced by Nick Fury being in the trailer. This may also mean that Gamora can come back to life, but the fate of Vision and Loki is still uncertain.

The Lion King
Release Date: July 19, 2019

We’ve been waiting for this one ever since the cast list was released in the spring of 2017. Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa (true to the original Lion King), Seth Rogen as Pumbaa, Billy Eichner (you know, the loud guy from Parks and Rec–not to mention his show Billy on the Street, which I recommend watching) as Timon, and John Oliver as Zazu. The film, which is set to follow the original script, has garnered mixed feelings from fans, who either think that the new one will overshadow the first or want the movie to stay true to the original.

It: Chapter Two
Release Date: September 6, 2019

For those who were hoping for a bit more horror and a bit less humor in the first installment, this film doesn’t seem like it’ll disappoint. The kids from the first movie are grown up and now, 27 years later, Pennywise is back. The casting is pretty spot on, as the adult actors truly look like grown up versions of the kids. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to take Bill Hader seriously in this movie, but since he’s playing an older version of Richie, he’s allowed to have a bit of goofiness.

Paige Ruder, Reporter

Paige Ruder is a senior at Prosper High School and a reporter for Eagle Nation Online. She has lived in Prosper with her parents since her sophomore year...