Makeup artist’s journey, a path of color mixed with talent

Junior discusses career interests, future plans
For the play 2023 play Queens, junior Mary Freitas stands with Prosper alumni Tate Lauby. Lauby played King Henry VIII, and Freitas played Queen Katherine Howard. This is Freitass third year in theatre and fifth year learning makeup techniques. She is dynamic, and I would love to see her strive for theatre, but I can also see her leading a company, Kirkley said. Either way, Mary has a very bright future.
Photo courtesy of Mary Freitas
For the play 2023 play “Queens,” junior Mary Freitas stands with Prosper alumni Tate Lauby. Lauby played King Henry VIII, and Freitas played Queen Katherine Howard. This is Freitas’s third year in theatre and fifth year learning makeup techniques. “She is dynamic, and I would love to see her strive for theatre, but I can also see her leading a company,” Kirkley said. “Either way, Mary has a very bright future.”

As she swipes her makeup brush across a cast member’s eye, junior Mary Freitas leaves behind a trace of colorful glitter and a display of dedication and talent.

Freitas has been drawn to cosmetology from a young age.

“I would steal my mom’s makeup and hair things to try to look just like her,” Freitas said. “I would play with my friend’s hair and learned how to braid by myself.”

The only other career Freitas said she had an interest in was acting.

“It’s always been something I loved, and wanted to pursue,” Freitas said. “I’ve always played with makeup.”

Being self-taught, she developed more advanced techniques through practice.

“I truly started learning techniques when I was in sixth grade,” Freitas said. “Ever since then, especially with Covid, I’ve been obsessed with trying new things with makeup.”

Passion for cosmetology would be an understatement. Mary spends a lot of her free time trying new and expressive makeup looks and posting them on social media. For her friends, she frequently does stunning makeup and hair for them just for fun. She has also broadened her experience and has begun doing unique nail looks that are up to a professional level. She has several talents and gives 100% to any endeavor she partakes in.

— Rachel Jackson

Freitas is currently a student in the Prosper Career Independent Study program. Students in the class get the opportunity to explore careers of their interest, connect with a mentor in that field, and create a final project at the end of the year. Freitas is currently working with cosmetologist and business owner Emily Jacobs, located in Melissa, Texas.

“For my final project for PCIS,” Freitas said, “I was thinking of doing a portfolio with all of my work so far.”

In the future, Freitas plans to continue her passion for cosmetology by obtaining a license in nails and makeup specifically.

“I hope to become a wedding makeup artist,” Freitas said. “I am also super interested in editorial makeup and want to explore more within that industry.”

According to Freitas, the biggest challenge with pursuing cosmetology has not been the art itself but more about staying determined despite her surroundings.

“Seeing everyone around me picking careers that require years of college and feeling as though my career isn’t stable enough is difficult,” Freitas said. “It’s a challenge in any career to get to the point you want, but the feeling that I am falling behind my peers does linger.”

Junior Erica Smith first met Freitas freshman year during a class trip to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Junior Mary Freitas sits with the rest of the theatre team during their trip to the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Edinburgh, Scotland. PHS Theatre students visited the festival in the summer of 2022. “The theatre team was working on the production of ‘Queens,'” Smith said. “We needed roommates, and I saw that Mary was in my room but didn’t have a roommate. So, I kind of just signed up, and we became friends.”

“The theatre team was working on the production of ‘Queens,’ and we were going to the fringe,” Smith said. “We needed roommates, and I saw that Mary was in a room but didn’t have a roommate. So, I kind of just signed up, and we became friends.”

Anytime there’s a big event, Freitas takes charge of nails, hair and makeup.

“Whether it’s for theater or prom, she’s always the first one to want to help others,” Smith said. “She’s always so creative with the hair and makeup looks, and she’s always wearing something new, which is really cool.”

Freitas assisted with hair and makeup for the theatre production of “Frozen” last semester, too.

“I had to have this whole look on my face,” Smith said. “And, it probably would have looked really bad if I did it, so we were really fortunate to have her there. She’s really precise with what she’s doing. She always has a plan, and, if she’s sitting in front of you for 30 minutes to do your makeup, you know it will turn out great.”

Smith said if Freitas decides to pursue cosmetology in the future, she knows Freitas would be good at it. Both have discussed plans after high school – whether that be going to graduate school or cosmetology school.

“I know that she’s going to wind up in the career that she’s meant to be in,” Smith said. “I don’t think she’s going to settle for anything less than what she wants.”

Smith said one of the qualities she admires most about Freitas is her ability to be confrontational and to speak for what she believes in.

“She’s always upfront if there’s a problem,” Smith said. “If we’re in rehearsal or PCIS, and something isn’t working, she will be the person to say that. She’s able to get up and say ‘I’m either struggling with this. I don’t like the way we’re doing this, or can we do something else?’ and start that constructive conversation. ”

Even outside of school, Smith said Freitas goes about her friendships in the same way.

“I know that if we have a problem, she’ll tell me,” Smith said, “And, we’ll be able to work through that.”

The Prosper High School Theater Department gathers after a request to perform at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the world’s largest and most prestigious arts festival, in the summer of 2022. This event took place as part of the American High School Theatre Festival. The AHSTF Board of Advisors reviews all completed applications and identifies the top high schools based on their most recent bodies of work, awards, community involvement, philosophies and recommendations. Freitas was a part of the team that got the opportunity to perform at this convention.

Theatre director Vicki Kirkley has known Freitas since her freshman year.

“She is a very driven student,” Kirkley said. “Mary works hard in whatever she is trying to do. She shows passion by working toward a common goal of the project or team.”

Kirkley described Freitas as a natural leader who always has the group’s best interest in mind. She said Freitas’ personality makes her the ‘perfect fit’ for any profession she chooses to pursue in the future.

“She is dynamic, and I would love to see her strive for theatre, but I can also see her leading a company,” Kirkley said. “Either way, Mary has a very bright future.”

Freitas said the best advice for other students pursuing a similar field is to keep going.

“Don’t be scared,” Freitas said. “Sometimes it can feel as though you don’t know if it will work out, but as long as you know you love it, you should pursue it.”

The most important thing to keep in mind, she said, is to take charge of your own interests and not let external factors impact you.

“No matter what happens,” Freitas said. “No matter what you choose to do. Don’t let other people dictate your life.”