Town officials, Prosper superintendent offer information on bond; community members offer opinions

City, district officials issue information for public
In+a+Prosper+residents+front+yard%2C+a+sign+in+support+of+the+PISD+bond+election+stands.+Early+voting+ends+Nov.+3.+The+article+attached+includes+the+information+Dr.+Holly+Ferguson+and+town+planning+members+provided+on+the+bond+proposals+this+past+week.+
Kaya Miller
In a Prosper resident’s front yard, a sign in support of the PISD bond election stands. Early voting ends Nov. 3. The article attached includes the information Dr. Holly Ferguson and town planning members provided on the bond proposals this past week.

In light of early voting from Oct. 23 to Nov. 3, the Prosper Board held a meeting on Oct. 24 to discuss the bond and other town matters. Prosper officials offered more information on the school district bond and Collin County bond. Community members also had the opportunity for “Citizen Comments” during the meeting. Additionally, Superintendent Dr. Holly Ferguson answered school district bond questions via several outlets, including during an Oct. 25 Facebook event.

Town planning official, Ben Hangartner, outlined what the county bond propositions will entail and their benefits during the board meeting.

“Your tax rates will not increase when the propositions are passed,” Hangartner said.”The propositions stand on their own merit, and you will be able to vote for each one separately, and it is our recommendation that you vote for all.”

Here are what each proposition for the Collin County bond addresses, as detailed on the Collin County website. (Courtesy of the Collin County website)

Hangartner further explained the increase of home values in the past 20 years has allowed for the bond to be possible. Ferguson also pointed out that the tax rate will not change even if the bond measures are not adopted.

Hangartner said that the voter turnout has been low so far. He voted at the main Collin College campus, but he noted there are several other voting locations that community members can attend, such as the Town Hall.

Road construction, school facilities and the community arts program expansion are some of the primary issues the district bond propositions cover.

“I saw the Windsong email come out just about an hour ago from the Town of Prosper. I just wanted to say thank you because I could see all that has been done,” community member Laura Rova said. “It’s been a busy month. You guys have done more than we expected in a short time frame. I’m confident we’ll land on the right solution for the intersection, but thank you for taking it seriously.”

Road construction will be funded as part of one proposal, specifically an intersection on the west side of Prosper, near Windsong.

Hangartner presented the population growth and showed the statistics that the population of Prosper has doubled from 2000 to 2023, which creates strain for the school system. And, with construction already underway for the fourth high school, Ferguson noted the need for an additional stadium is growing.

The PISD School Board sets the tax rate each and every year, but it has not moved from that 50-cent (point) since 2007. As of August 2023, the board set the lowest tax rate that we have ever experienced in Prosper ISD. The great thing about growth is that is how we’re going to pay for it (without increasing taxes). Because, there are tons of new people who are moving into this community, and they are also bringing businesses here. So, the commercial tax is also helping us with the payment.”

— Superindentent Holly Ferguson

“One stadium in a school district can serve four high schools,” Ferguson said. “At build-out, we are projected to have six high schools, and so when you start thinking about the demands of the use of that stadium, it starts to become a daunting task to get everything scheduled. So, you’re having football games on Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday night once you get past that fourth high school.”

The legislature changed the bond voting abilities by expanding voting to specific propositions (A, B, C, D) unlike the 2020 $1.3-billion bond, which was in support or against all propositions in the district bond.

“The I&S tax rate was capped at 50 cents, and it’s the highest it can be,” Ferguson said. “It cannot go a cent higher. The PISD School Board sets the tax rate each and every year, but it has not moved from that 50-cent (point) since 2007. As of August 2023, the board set the lowest tax rate that we have ever experienced in Prosper ISD. The great thing about growth is that is how we’re going to pay for it (without increasing taxes). Because, there are tons of new people who are moving into this community, and they are also bringing businesses here. So, the commercial tax is also helping us with the payment.”

To address questions and concerns about why the PISD budget is so high in comparison to other districts, Ferguson explained inflation and construction increases are two of the reasons, but also referred to the expense of the district’s CTE program.

Here are what each proposition for the Prosper ISD bond addresses, as detailed on the Prosper ISD bond website. (Courtesy of the Prosper ISD bond website)

“One very unique difference in Prosper ISD is that we do not have a CTE center,” Ferguson said. “We have those housed in each of our high schools. Our students get to walk down the hall and get to be a part of that opportunity by taking that course they are not getting on a bus to be shuttled to the CTE center where they may have limitations.”

The CTE program will continue with the bond, and the art facilities of Prosper will be expanded. The Founder and President of the Visual Arts of Prosper, Toni Wrangler, spoke about the matter at the board meeting.

“Communities benefit from art organizations by stimulating business and economic growth,” Wrangler said. “We believe that establishing a revolving art show in the Town center’s lobby could significantly enhance the cultural landscape of our town. The hanging system is easy to install, to use, and to maintain. This initiative aims to showcase the talents of local artists and create a more vibrant community space for residents and visitors alike.”

A diverse range of reactions in support and against has come from community members but not many spoke out during the board meeting. The board council asked questions to the planning officials, and Dr. Ferguson answered frequently asked questions during her Facebook live. From there community members can decide their opinion on the bond and vote “yes” or “no” for each of the propositions. Find a location near you based on if you live in Collin or Denton County and vote.

To ask additional questions contact: CC2023BondProgram@gmail.com

To watch the videos of the town board meeting and press conference, and to learn more click the links below:

https://prosperisdbond.net/

https://prospertx.new.swagit.com/views/378/?fbclid=IwAR2JFczDsQwYHJ4LMFYMGWiM8 RmTOS8oupby9E1ng37v5uOo2iHyhLm_jo

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/prosper-isd-voters-consider-2-8-billion-bond-measure-to-keep-up-with-hypersonic-growth/

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/2-8-billion-prosper-isd-bond-includes-94-million-stadium/3343140/