Column: Football season through my lens

Take a look back as we look ahead …
Head bent, head coach Tyler Moore laughs after the team dumped the water on his head, in celebration. This is Moores first year as head coach. The team has earned multiple iconic wins and accomplishments under his guidance.
Head bent, head coach Tyler Moore laughs after the team dumped the water on his head, in celebration. This is Moore’s first year as head coach. The team has earned multiple iconic wins and accomplishments under his guidance.
Riley McConnell
Who is Riley McConnell?

At the end of my freshman year, I was invited to start a program called Football Operations Department, the behind-the-scenes group that managed media and logistics for the Prosper football team. The program began fall of 2021, and I, along with some other amazing students, have built a wonderful environment that showcases the unique culture of the football department. As I grew my personal brand, I was quickly renamed by the whole school as ‘rileymcphotos’ (my instagram handle that was spread across social medias).

In celebration of a first-quarter touchdown, coach Coby Richards and Brian Thompson yell in excitement. The 49-yard pass from quarterback Nate TeneBarge to senior Javan Henry was followed by an explosion of cheers, setting the score 14-6.  I always love football game season, junior Laurel McIntosh said. This game was special since it was my sisters and my senior friends last game. Also, it was a close game, so it was exciting to watch.
Week 9: 37-36 win against Allen

Football secures 3rd win against Allen, 1st in district

Debatably one the biggest games of the season, this was a highly anticipated game for everyone involved. Due to impending weather, senior night began at 3 p.m., and kickoff at 5, so a bit different from normal weeks. The rain started pouring during the 1st half, making for some really cool photos, and the rest of the game was perfect! Getting to watch our head coach get another huge win in his first year was beyond fun, and seeing the players supporting him was so wholesome. It’s not even over yet, and I can vouch that this has been the perfect senior season!

In celebration of a first-quarter touchdown, coach Coby Richards and Brian Thompson yell in excitement. The 49-yard pass from quarterback Nate TeneBarge to senior Javan Henry was followed by an explosion of cheers, setting the score 14-6. “I always love football game season,” junior Laurel McIntosh said. “This game was special since it was my sister’s and my senior friends’ last game. Also, it was a close game, so it was exciting to watch.” (Riley McConnell)
Arm pumping into the air, offensive coordinator Malcolm Hill hypes up the players during warmups. We look at film to see if what we worked on throughout the week held up in the game, Hill said. And, if were doing things right, that puts us in the position to be successful.
Week 8: 38-21 win against Braswell

Preview: Football looks to ‘tackle’ last home game against rival school

The game against Braswell was a more relaxed game as a photographer, which allowed me to get more creative shots that I normally don’t when worried about getting significant action shots. Taking an average of 2 thousand photos every game, this game had roughly 3.5 thousand! Sitting in on meetings and watching practices the next week, it was clear the coaches and players were locked in for their upcoming games.

Arm ‘pumping’ into the air, offensive coordinator Malcolm Hill hypes up the players during warmups. “We look at film to see if what we worked on throughout the week held up in the game,” Hill said. “And, if we’re doing things right, that puts us in the position to be successful.” (Riley McConnell)
Charging down the field, the Prosper Flight Crew makes their way out of the tunnel. Every student involved in the program is assigned a football player to be their buddy for the game. Players exchange letters with the kids, and attend games throughout the year to support them.
Week 7: 47-0 win over McKinney Boyd

Starters, backups contribute to varsity win on Friday, 42-0

Cheers rang through Children’s Health Stadium, ending in another Prosper Eagle win! Although I’m apart of a wonderful team with Football Operations, it is always super fun when my friends from ENO get to cover events with me. One of my favorite parts of sports photography is seeing the creativity of other photographers, and seeing everyone’s different angles of the plays.

Charging down the field, the Prosper Flight Crew makes their way out of the tunnel. Every student involved in the program is assigned a football player to be their ‘buddy’ for the game. Players exchange letters with the kids, and attend games throughout the year to support them. (Riley McConnell)
Playing with enthusiasm, seniors Alistair Hickman and Jake Kinchen beat on their drums. The Mighty Eagle Band brings the drumline in front of the student section at the beginning of every 3rd quarter, to bring extra excitement to the crowd. The band performed their Deep In The Heart of Texas performance on Saturday Sept. 30, placing first in the grand championships. The accomplishment was last achieved by the Eagles in 2018.
Week 6: 51-12 win over Little Elm

Football ‘tackles’ Little Elm, dominates 51-13

Second away-game of the season, the game against the Lobos was a straight-shot win for the Eagles. Starters and backups all got their time to shine, all contributing to the crazy score. Talonettes, band, cheer, and fans all joined in on the fun, adding to the excitment.

Playing with enthusiasm, seniors Alistair Hickman and Jake Kinchen beat on their drums. The Mighty Eagle Band brings the drumline in front of the student section at the beginning of every 3rd quarter, to bring extra excitement to the crowd. The band performed their ‘Deep In The Heart of Texas’ performance on Saturday Sept. 30, placing first in the grand championships. The accomplishment was last achieved by the Eagles in 2018. (Riley McConnell)
Eyes forward, the 2023 Prosper Eagle Football team captains line up for the coin toss. According to their coaches, seniors Tyler Mercer, Terrence TJ Jones, Jonah McClendon, and Davis Perkins lead both on and off the field alongside QB1, senior Nate TenBarge. “(After the Rock Hill game,) I saw that we can’t get big-headed, McClendon said. We need to come out punching in order to win the game (against Little Elm tonight).
Week 5: 34-28

Varsity football takes on Rock Hill High School

Highly anticipated for citizens all across the town, the game against Rock Hill was bound to be fun. Designated as the away team, dynamics were a bit weird, but taking pictures from the opposing view was unique and fun to figure out. Getting to see all of our friends from Rock Hill was amazing, but taking that win was definitely a bit more fulfilling.

Eyes forward, the 2023 Prosper Eagle Football team captains line up for the coin toss. According to their coaches, seniors Tyler Mercer, Terrence ‘TJ’ Jones, Jonah McClendon, and Davis Perkins lead both on and off the field alongside ‘QB1,’ senior Nate TenBarge. “(After the Rock Hill game,) I saw that we can’t get big-headed,” McClendon said. “We need to come out punching in order to win the game (against Little Elm tonight).” (Riley McConnell)
Alongside his fellow classmates, senior Malick Katalika cheers on the Prosper Eagles. Katalika was named Student Body President April 10th, 2023, at the end of his junior year. He runs the senior assassin game for the senior graduating class, alongside Senior Vice President Reaves Lo.
Week 4: 31-28 win over Denton Guyer

Football rises, claims victory over Denton Guyer, 31-28

Destined to be one of the tougher games for the team, the matchup against the Wildcats was nerve-wracking for many. Practices during the week leading up to kickoff were tedious in order to prepare. The guys gave it their all, pulling through with a win, serving the Wildcats their first loss of the season. Players, coaches, and fans erupted in noise and cheers throughout the night. Watching and documenting the students rushing the field was so rewarding and thrilling to experience. Over the past three years, I have been lucky to join in on all the unique moments, but also document them for everyone to reminisce on in our future.

Alongside his fellow classmates, senior Malick Katalika cheers on the Prosper Eagles. Katalika was named Student Body President April 10th, 2023, at the end of his junior year. He runs the ‘senior assassin’ game for the senior graduating class, alongside Senior Vice President Reaves Lo. (Riley McConnell)
In celebration of a successful sack, senior Davis Perkins runs toward the sidelines as he lets out an excited scream. Perkins plays as a defensive linebacker. He was a part of the homecoming court for this school year, alongside his girlfriend, senior Alexis Kirksey. The festivities began at 6:15 p.m., 45 minutes before kickoff.
Week 2: 49-13 win over Sachse

Football wins homecoming game against Sachse by a landslide, 49-13

Similar to many other seniors, our first official home game brought on a lot of emotions for me. The (very early) homecoming game marked my final first game. In the program since sophomore year, this indication of it all ending was bittersweet. All of those emotions were quickly overcome by the exciting celebrations and action on the field.

In celebration of a successful sack, senior Davis Perkins runs toward the sidelines as he lets out an excited scream. Perkins plays as a defensive linebacker. He was a part of the homecoming court for this school year, alongside his girlfriend, senior Alexis Kirksey. The festivities began at 6:15 p.m., 45 minutes before kickoff. (Riley McConnell)
Arm whipped back, senior Nate TenBarge warms up before the game. TenBarge is the starting quarterback for the varsity team this season. Jersey numbers were all swapped for the days events, not correlating with their in-season jerseys.
Pre-season: Scrimmage against Mesquite

Football kickstarts season, faces off in scrimmage against Mesquite

First football-related event headed back from baseball season, the scrimmage was a good refresher for me and photos! Smiles surrounding me on the field, and in the stands behind me, the excitement was not hard to find. Heat was on a high, but so was the energy bubbling in the stands and on the sidelines.

Arm whipped back, senior Nate TenBarge warms up before the game. TenBarge is the starting quarterback for the varsity team this season. Jersey numbers were all swapped for the day’s events, not correlating with their in-season jerseys. (Riley McConnell)