Eagle Brief May 4 – 11

Kalyani Rao

Students walk the hallways of Prosper High School underneath a poster reading “Mental Health Awareness Month.” May is Mental Health Awareness Month. Posters raising awareness and offering support for students who may be struggling line the hallways. In addition, counselor Stephanie Clayton will be featured in an upcoming Eagle Nation Online podcast covering topics of interest for students concerning mental health. Keep reading ENO for those publication details, which should be released soon.

Eagle Update & Resources

Freshman Matteo Mejia and sophomore Nicole Steel competed in the UIL State Tennis Tournament in the last week of April, and finished 3rd in the State in 6A. Mejia and Steel were district champions this year, 2nd in the region and 3rd in state.

Upcoming

• The Prosper ISD School Board election will be held May 6.
  • May is Mental Health Awareness Month.
  • The Junior/Senior Prom will be on Saturday, May 6 from 7 p.m. – 11 p.m. at The Marriott at Legacy Town Center.
  • The Anime Club will be hosting their Anime Opening Showdown in Brittany Middleton’s room in the Learning Cottage 3201, after school on May 4, from 4:15-4:50 p.m.
  • Collin College has extended the deadline for the six free credits this summer from May 3 to May 10.
  • PHS FCA is partnering with Rock Hill FCA for a night of games, food, fellowship & music. Open to all students and families. Please come out to the Rock Hill football field on Friday, May 12 from 6-8 p.m.
  • If you would like to change your course selections for next year, the last day to do so is the last day of school. No changes will be made after this day. Please go to the Counselor tab on the PHS website and fill out the change form.

Sports schedules

Thursday, May 4 – Thursday, May 11 – No events.

Friday, May 12
8 a.m. Varsity Girls Track vs. UIL 6A State Track Meet

Uplifting

VASE State Competition

Prosper art students competed at VASE State on Saturday. Out of 40,000 entries, 151 received the coveted State Gold Seal Award. Prosper ISD came home with two of 1,100 competing districts! Out of 2,300 students attending, 30 scholarships were given. Prosper ISD brought home three of those 30 scholarships!

Prosper Archery

Prosper ISD Archery teams competed at the NASP Western National tournament over the weekend in Sandy, Utah.  PHS finished 3rd out of 36 teams with just 30 points separating the top three teams. Freshman Sydney Robinson finished in the top 10. Only three points separated most of the top 10 female archers. Senior Andrew Hedges also received the 2023 On Target For Life Superhero Award.  This award is given for the volunteer who makes an outstanding positive impact on the team. PHS Archery scored high enough to attend the Open Championship tournament in Myrtle Beach in June. 

Blood Drive Results

Yesterday’s blood drive put on by HOSA and the health science courses resulted in the collection of 89 pints of blood, which will help to save 267 lives.

PHS Journalists

Quill & Scroll Writing, Photo & Multimedia Contest

Video Sports Package
3rd Place: junior Coleman Meier, senior Kace Spears
Video Features Package
1st Place: sophomore Christina Krasnova
Video DEI, Social Justice Reporting

2nd Place: senior Allison Wood

2023 RFK High School Broadcast Award
Senior Mithra Cama, “Book Ban”