Soccer player wants to bring hope via new club’s mission

Pranav Yerram founds founds breast cancer awareness organization

Maya Contreras

Starting soccer warmups, senior Pranav Yerram passes the ball to the next player. Yerram has been playing soccer for as long as he can remember, and he continues to use this sport as part of his inspiration for medicine. “I believe what we do as an organization at school and in the US will give hope and support to women that have breast cancer,” Yerram said. “I think this will help them push and strive to survive. Because at the end of the day our lives (are what) matter the most.”

The whistle blows as the next round of soccer warm-ups start. The players scatter across the field. Among those players, during fourth period, is senior Pranav Yerram. Yerram has been playing soccer for as long as he can remember. Now, he practices with the boys soccer team, preparing for tryouts.

“Soccer has inspired me in many ways.,” Yerram said. “It has helped me see treatment from different angles, for example, a perspective of an injured athlete or how a physical trainer sees things. This has allowed me to understand more paths I could take while pursuing medicine.”

Soccer has inspired me in many ways. It has helped me see treatment from different angles, for example, a perspective of an injured athlete or how a physical trainer sees things. This has allowed me to understand more paths I could take while pursuing medicine.

— Pranav Yerram

Standing out among his teammates and being awarded the student of the quarter for boys soccer, Yerram said he has always had a passion for science as a student. He knew this would take him somewhere, although,  he couldn’t have predicted that learning about the perils of breast cancer would lead him to start a club to spread awareness. The new club held its first meeting Thursday, Oct. 27. The next meeting is planned to be held in two weeks.

“After learning about how fatal breast cancer can be and how many women are going through this dire situation, I wanted to do more. I wanted to contribute in my own way,” Yerram said. “(For me that meant) starting a club and bringing the student community together to make a difference.”

When he heard Yerram started the breast cancer awareness club, soccer coach Bryan Thompson said he was “very proud” that one of his students wanted to make a difference.

“I think it is his initiative, his compassion for others and his willingness to act in the interest of others,” Thompson said. “This is one of the values that we try to teach our players. What are we doing for others, for the school, for the community?”

Yerram reached out to his teacher, Kristin Beckham, over the summer, asking her to sponsor this new club.

I started volunteering at the office where I used to work with people, especially women who have battled and survived breast cancer. Listening to their stories through the ups and downs and all the difficulties, inspired me to do more than just volunteer.

— Pranav Yerram

“Pranav is authentically interested in supporting this cause, which I think comes across naturally when people hear him talk about it,” Beckham said. “As a senior and a student athlete, he is also in a position to positively influence others to get involved.”

When Yerram heard about the National Breast Cancer Foundation, an organization that promotes breast cancer awareness and education, from his mom’s friend, he started signing up to volunteer at the NBCF’s office in Frisco.

“I started volunteering at the office where I used to work with people, especially women who have battled and survived breast cancer,” Yerram said. “Listening to their stories through the ups and downs and all the difficulties, inspired me to do more than just volunteer.”

Yerram continues his volunteering experience at school with the Breast Cancer Club, which held its first meeting in October. The next meeting is planned to be held in two weeks, and the final date will be confirmed in the group’s Google classroom.

“One of our top priorities is educating women on what they can do to be proactive with their breast health. Knowledge and early detection save lives,” Yerram said. “Not only is the club bringing awareness to the situation, but the club is also providing support to women struggling with breast cancer. We, as a club, are letting these women know that we are here for them and are willing to help them through their difficult situations.”

With the help of his vice president, senior Noah Moloney, Yerram said he is confident this club can bring more awareness and attention to the battle against this disease.

“I believe what we do as an organization at school and in the US will give hope and support to women that have breast cancer,” Yerram said. “I think this will help them push and strive to survive. Because, at the end of the day, our lives matter the most.”