Counselors pilot Inspire program

An informational flyer about the Inspire Program

Mariana Pena, Reporter

Beginning this semester, the counselors will pilot a program called Inspire. The program is a set curriculum written by motivational speaker Tara Bollinger and is meant for students to have a space to talk about things going on in their personal lives.

Starting on January 19, the sessions open to students every Friday during Eagle Time. There is no cost associated with attending the program, but parental consent for participation is required.

It is split into a girls’ group, called Radiant Girl, and a guys’ group named MVP, which stands for Manhood, Value, and Purpose.

“It’s a group that we hope to be beneficial and a safe space for kids to be able to talk about things that they might not talk about with their parents at the dinner table or maybe at the lunch table,” says counselor Kathryn Wells. “Things happen in high school, and sometimes you don’t have friends to ask, or you don’t feel comfortable asking your teachers or your parents.”

This is the first semester that the program is being offered at the high school, but it was offered at the middle schools last year with much success. The freshmen this year had the opportunity to take it last year when they were at the middle schools.

“We want the upperclassmen to participate so they can leave high school and go to college with as many resources as possible,” says Wells. “The program has a written curriculum that’s going to focus on healthy relationships, how to become the man or woman that you want to be, and some awkward topics that need to be discussed in a safe space.”

Based on the curriculum, some sessions will be activities and some will be groups that get together and talk.

“Eventually we’re hoping they’ll be student-led to provide spaces for kids to talk about whatever is going on in the lives of the kids that are participating,” says Wells. “The leaders and mentors are adults in the community, not counselors or administrators here at the high school, so kids can feel like they’re not being judged.”

“You’re in school for a lot of hours, so we wanted to reach you in some way without taking a lot of academic time away,” says Wells.