Editorial: Counselors deserve appreciation for aiding students

Amanda Hare

As it calls attention to those who are celebrating “National School Counseling Week,” a board rests in the Upper House. National School Counseling Week occurred from Monday, Feb. 1, to today, Feb. 5. Students can find counselors and assistant principals when they need them in both the Upper and Lower House office complexes. “Students should go out of their way to acknowledge the counselors and thank them for what they do for students,” assistant editor Amanda Hare said in the attached editorial. “They often go unappreciated, so students should work to express their gratitude for them today.”

ENO Staff

Course selection, schedule changes, meeting with students – the counselors do it all. They work night and day throughout the year to help students. The counselors deserve appreciation for all they do, especially this week, National School Counseling Week.

They’re especially busy this time of year with course selection. They work to ensure students have the best schedule possible, and create accomodations for those with schedule conflicts. They’re bombarded with emails from students requesting help and do their best to help them all. With course selections due today in Skyward for all students, the counselors have gone to classes to advise students with their course selection. Additionally, the counselors will hold individual meetings with juniors Feb. 17-22, sophomores March 16-19 and freshmen April 13-16. They’re hard at work to support every student and aid them in preparing for the future.

The counseling offices are open to talk to students and support them in any way they can. They care for students and want the best for them.

— Assistant Editor Amanda Hare

They also are open to help students with college applications, the Dual Credit classes and Advanced Placement programs. With the overly complicated system for signing up for Dual Credit, the counselors can be extremely helpful with simplifying the process. As well, they can provide great, personalized advice for students applying to college and deciding their future. Applying for college is a big decision for students, and the counselors can help narrow down choices and aid students in the application and scholarship process. They can recommend the best classes for a student to take based on what they may want to major in and give them insight on the application process.

Beyond class schedules, the counselors support students in other ways. Their doors are open to talk to students and help them. They also assist with student mental health and provide resources such as the Virtual Calming Corner for students. The counseling offices are open to talk to students and support them in any way they can. They care for students and want the best for them.

With this week, Feb. 1-5, being National School Counseling Week, students should go out of their way to acknowledge the counselors and thank them for what they do for students. They often go unappreciated, so students should work to express their gratitude for them every day.

Editor’s note: This editorial was written by Assistant Editor Amanda Hare on behalf of the Eagle Nation Online staff.

Has your counselor been able to help you this year?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.