Students visit the Garland Crime Lab

Delaney Butler

Thursday, September 25, Forensics teacher Amy Viars took a group of forensics students on a field trip to the Garland Crime Lab. The class was one of the few schools invited to this event, which is a significant occasion, due to the fact that it is not open to the public.

“I call the crime lab every year to get information about events they are hosting. When I called, they informed me of the first time they were offering an Open House, and they invited us,” said Viars, “This field trip allowed students to see forensic scientists in their element, and it gave students an insight into a scientist’s normal day.”

While at the lab, the class met employees who walked them through a tour of each branch dedicated to the forensics study. The students visited the trace evidence, DNA, drug, blood alcohol, firearm and toolmark, toxicology, latent fingerprint, and document/media analysis units.

“I have always been interested in forensic studies. The class makes it intriguing and it’s the closest thing to real life Criminal Minds I can get,” said Alyson Bloomer. “My favorite part of the trip was learning that the legal blood alcohol content cannot exceed .08, and that someone had been a 5.4!”

For student Gabriel Johnson, this trip was tremendously influential for him. “I think it was an amazing opportunity to learn and expand my knowledge on a subject that is very important to me and to the scientific community as a whole.”

Although he is not positive he is studying this career in college, Gabriel emphasized how grateful he was for the trip.  “Forensic science is a very important tool that is used to bring justice upon the guilty and provide closure for the distraught and I am honored to have had this opportunity to learn and study this amazing tool for justice.”