Prosper book club explores different realities

DaNita Griffin

The library sits in silence during second period when only a few students are inside getting books and studying.The Prosper High School library has 15,065 books on its shelves for Prosper’s students to enjoy. “…there is value to reading whatever a kid wants to read regardless of a book’s literary merit or accolades. Reading builds vocabulary, critical thinking skills, and improves writing,” AP English IV teacher Kristin Beckham said.

Demetric Johnson, Reporter

Music, media and even sports are all methods used to take a break from reality, but these students escape to an entirely different reality. Junior Olivia Savage and school librarian Jenna Hutt established a way for fans of reading to meet up, mingle and spend time.

“The first meeting was two weeks ago, Hutt said. “[The club members] chose the book The Rules For Disappearing. They decided they would read about three chapters, and that we would re-meet for the second meeting and discuss about it.” 

Students can join the book club at any time. The club meets every two weeks, and all that is required is that an email be sent to either Hutt or Savage so that they know who to draft for the Eagle Time meetings. Savage provided the spark that started it all by using ideas from her PCIS course. 

“This year I am studying English education, and I thought ‘what better way to promote English than a book club,’” Savage said. “I wanted an environment where students could read at their own leisure and convenience.”

Savage and Hutt said they wanted their focus to ensure that all members feel welcomed and comfortable. Group members work together to choose books, and there is no pressure to read a certain amount within a given time limit.

“We made it very clear with the club. If you can’t read the three chapters, don’t worry about it,” Hutt said. “There’s no pressure, no grades. There’s nothing associated with it. And it’s a place to meet other students interested in the same things that you are.”

AP English IV teacher Kristin Beckham shared a list of reasons why she values the club. 

Book clubs create communities of readers who, because of shared reading experiences, establish a form of kinship that is not only academic, but is also fun and rewarding,” Beckham said. “How awesome is it to have an opportunity to gain those benefits from just reading a cool book you like with your friends? I’m thrilled PHS has a book club open to everyone and for anyone to enjoy.”

Hutt said the club is meant to be fun. Although this is the third time a book club has been attempted at Prosper, it is the first time it has achieved a successful following. 

“I would love to see it grow,” Hutt said. “Olivia’s a junior, so we do have two years with her, but even when she graduates, I would love to see somebody else take it over and just to continue to grow it.”