Tornadoes cause $2 billion in damage

This week instead of two, there is one – just 1

Publishing every Friday, The Top 2 recaps the two most notable and important stories from the week (Saturday-Thursday). Assistant Editor Ryan Stanley covers topics ranging from issues in the U.S. to problems worldwide. For more information on stories, refer to the embedded links within the article.

Catherine Jackson and Renee Watters

Publishing every Friday, “The Top 2” recaps the two most notable and important stories from the week (Saturday-Thursday). Assistant Editor Ryan Stanley covers topics ranging from issues in the U.S. to problems worldwide. For more information on stories, refer to the embedded links within the article.

Ryan Stanley, Assistant Editor

1. Nine tornadoes struck the Dallas area Sunday night and caused an estimated $2 billion in damage. The twisters, which reached wind speeds of 140 mph, created the costliest severe weather event in North Texas’ history. No deaths occurred, but homes and infrastructure received significant damage.

Why this matters

Two Dallas ISD elementary schools were destroyed, and other campuses sustained damaged, causing nearly 3,000 students to face relocation to different schools. Along with the damage, power outages forced class cancellations until Thursday for Dallas ISD. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued a disaster declaration to speed up the recovery process. Click here to aid Dallas ISD in tornado relief.

Notable mention: Google claims to achieve quantum supremacy.