District to offer cash incentive for score of 4, 5 on AP exam

Kester Muthalaly

District officials plan to give $100 to students who score a four or a five on their AP exams. “I like (the incentive), personally, because I don’t want to pay for an AP test, and it come out of my pocket,” junior Morgan Harris said. “It’s a good incentive, and it makes me want to study and do well on the test.”

Isabella Abraham, Copy Editor

To encourage participation in the Advanced Placement program, students who score a four or a five on their AP exams will receive a $100 per test. The deadline to register for an AP test is Feb. 27 at 5 p.m.

Students looking to cancel their tests and receive a full refund should do so by Friday, March 1. The school will cancel registrations that have not been paid for March 4 at 5 p.m.

“We believe in highlighting strong academic performance in PISD,” John Boehringer, assistant principal for advanced academics, said. ‘This award program in conjunction with other incentive options proposed by students and PISD faculty is meant to recognize the hard work, growth and success that our students experience through the AP program.”

This award program in conjunction with other incentive options proposed by students and PISD faculty is meant to recognize the hard work, growth and success that our students experience through the AP program.

— John Boehringer

The College Board charges $94 for each exam, while PISD charges $96.

The price is determined by the College Board, a private company that administers the AP program and the SAT,”  Boehringer said. “The $2 difference covers the cost of using the Total Registration system online, which allows us to accept credit card payments and has other benefits.”

District administrators decided last year to implement the incentive after they dropped the previous program to pay for students’ AP exams. According to Boehringer, the number of overall tests taken went up between those two years, and the number of tests in individual subject areas also went up in most cases.

“The exam itself is nearly always a challenge for most students, and I believe our students should seek academic challenges,” Boehringer said. “The opportunity to earn college credit and potentially not have to pay for some credit hours, or even graduate from college early, as many students do, is of nearly incalculable benefit to many families.”

PISD encourages students to take an exam, regardless of the incentive program. Prosper ISD will re-evaluate the sustainability of the program annually.

Any student who has successfully passed the class, and is willing to put some time into review at the end of the year, is encouraged to test,” Boehringer said. “Taking a challenging class, regardless of whether or not a student takes an AP exam at the end of the course, is great preparation for collegiate academics.”

Administrators said that students who are worried about payment should not be discouraged from taking an exam.

“I believe the AP program can be a positive for low-income students,” Boehringer said. “It certainly has costs in the short run in that students must pay for their own tests, but success on those tests could save those students hundreds or even thousands of dollars per credit hour, which they may not have to pay for (or take loans/debt for) while at college.”

Low-income students who need financial assistance should see counselor Jolene Vinson to explore the options for payment. The district may offer scholarships or a payment plan.

“The first thing before we can grant a test without paying is that they have to be eligible for free and reduced lunch, and that is verified through the Skyward account of the particular student,” Vinson said.” (Administrators) are going to find every means possible to assist that student in those situations because they want the students to test.”

Grateful for the extra financial help, the incentive pushes students to excel on their exams, according to junior Morgan Harris.

“I like (the incentive), personally, because I don’t want to pay for an AP test, and it come out of my pocket,” Harris said. “It’s a good incentive, and it makes me want to study and do well on the test.”

District officials said they hope the program showcases their support of AP students and acknowledges the time and effort required to take an AP exam.

“On a personal note, I think the incentive is an endorsement of the value that we perceive that the AP program, classes and exams provide to our students,” Boehringer said. I want our students to know how important these exams can be for their present – and for their future. While I wish everyone embraced the idea of learning for the sake of building knowledge and skills alone, the financial incentive provides a concrete endorsement of support for students who choose to pursue high levels of success in challenging themselves academically.”

Follow us on Instagram and Twitter: @ENO_PHS