Varsity football plans for 1st-round playoff matchup against Naaman Forest

Senior+Devoncy+Maloy%2C+No.+6%2C+returns+a+kick+against+Plano+Senior+High+Friday%2C+Nov.+9.+The+Eagles+prevailed+43-35%2C+knocking+Plano+out+of+the+playoff+race.+The+win+also+allowed+Prosper+to+host+their+first+6A+playoff+game+at+Eagle+Stadium+against+Naaman+Forest+High+School.+

Justin Hudson

Senior Devoncy Maloy, No. 6, returns a kick against Plano Senior High Friday, Nov. 9. The Eagles prevailed 43-35, knocking Plano out of the playoff race. The win also allowed Prosper to host their first 6A playoff game at Eagle Stadium against Naaman Forest High School.

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Columnist

After a close 43-35 win over Plano last week, varsity football looks forward to their next matchup: a first-round playoff game against Garland Naaman Forest. Naaman Forest is no stranger to the Eagles, as the squad played its very first game of this season against the Rangers. Prosper won handily then, taking care of Naaman Forest in a 49-14 rout that set the tone for an 8-2 regular season finish.

While Prosper went on a multi-game winning streak to start the season, things continued to be tough-sledding for Naaman Forest, who went on to lose 4 straight games to start the season 0-5. However, in their final five games, they went 4-1 to make their overall record a wild 4-6. The Rangers come into Friday against the Eagles following a 41-14 disaster loss against Garland Lakeview Centennial, who only possessed a 4-4 record coming into that contest.

What to watch out for: Naaman Smith

Naaman Smith’s leading passer is quarterback Palmer Campbell, who has a dismal 42.7 completion percentage, despite his impressive 9-2 touchdown-to-interception ratio. The rushing attack has been almost evenly split amongst four players, with Lemuel Adams leading the pack with 476 rushing yards and two touchdowns. Adams also is the Ranger’s leading receiver with 320 receiving yards and five receiving touchdowns.

Looking at the distribution of stats amongst players, Naaman Forest doesn’t seem to have a major offensive threat. This is good news for a Prosper defense that has allowed the quarterbacks of Allen and Plano to put up plenty of points. Although his touchdown-to-interception ratio looks good on paper, Palmer Campbell’s completion percentage looks disappointing, to say the least, which doesn’t make him a treat like Plano and Allen’s quarterbacks.

Prosper’s keys to the game

If that analysis is any indication as to what kind of team the Eagles will play Friday, Prosper should feel good about their chances in their first playoff game, and officially last home game at Eagle Stadium, but they shouldn’t become too comfortable. With emotions likely to run high in their first 6A playoff game, no matter the opponent, keys to the game will be relaxation and trying to contain those emotions. If emotions are held in check, and the rushing attack is strong as usual, we should be looking forward to yet another 6A playoff game Thanksgiving weekend for these Eagles.