Preview: Soccer ‘kicks’ off the new season against Hebron HS

Soccer looks forward to the season ahead.
Eyes+on+the+ball%2C+senior+Tate+Jones+prepares+to+pass+the+ball+to+his+teammate.+The+Eagle+soccer+season+will+start+Dec.+8+against+Hebron+High+School.+District+matches+begin+in+January.+
Sofia Ayala
Eyes on the ball, senior Tate Jones prepares to pass the ball to his teammate. The Eagle soccer season will start Dec. 8 against Hebron High School. District matches begin in January.

As the last round of tryouts marks the soccer season’s beginning, the Eagles will have their first match Dec. 8 at Hebron High School at 7:30 p.m.

The Eagles have been working on their skills during the offseason to prepare for the game. Their first home pre-season game will be located at PHS Turf and Track Dec. 12 at 7:30 p.m. Throughout their season, the team goes against various teams in the district starting with pre-season games, tournaments and district matches, which then lead into the playoffs.

The Prosper Eagles went against Hebron last year, securing a win for the pre-season match. The team officially starts the season on Jan. 11 with the first district match vs. Nimitz High School. Last year Prosper played the Vikings Jan. 14, winning with a score of 2-1.

This year, the team is led by a new head coach coach, David Blackburn. Blackburn coached at Heritage High School for four years before coming to Prosper. Before that, Blackburn coached at Coppell High School for four years, took his team to state twice and won the state championship in 2015. Mario Ramirez is the assistant coach and works alongside Blackburn. Together they coach the freshman junior varsity team, junior varsity and varsity.

Throughout the 2022-2023 district season, the Eagles claimed an undefeated district record, securing the No. 1 spot in the district for soccer according to Max Preps.

Last season the team faced Rock Hill for the first time, marking the first ‘battle of the birds.’ Prosper won 4-1 after their first match on Jan. 25 and defeated the Hawks once more on Feb. 21 with a final score of 2-0. This year the schools will face off again for the second year Jan. 26 at 7:30 p.m. in the Prosper ISD Children’s Health Stadium.

The Prosper soccer team had an overall score of 18-1-4 during the whole season. The team advanced to the first round of playoffs last season, which marked the end of their season.

Another awaited game is against the Allen Eagles on Feb. 9, and the Eagles will have another match on March 8 of this coming year. The teams tied the first time they went against each other on Feb. 7, 2023, 1-1, and the Prosper Eagles took the overall win 2-0 on March 8, 2023, against Allen.

Overall, the eagles are expected to have a successful season, after earning the title of district champions during the 22-23 season. The team will have 24 matches consisting of pre-season, district and tournaments. Following the district season, the team will advance to the bi-district play-off on March 25.