Football falls 26-14
to district foe Plano East

Prosper's defense looks to bring down Plano East wide receiver Braylon Henderson, No. 12. Henderson tallied 153 yards and one touchdown. His performance helped Plano Easy past Prosper 26-14.

Justin Hudson

Justin Hudson

Zach Markey, Sports Columnist and Editor

Despite their efforts, varsity football fell to a tough district opponent Plano East (5-0) Friday by a final score of 26-14. The final score could’ve been more detrimental as the Eagles (4-1) trailed 26-7 at halftime. Other than senior Wayne Anderson’s 32-yard touchdown run up the middle of the Plano East defense, both offenses were quiet in the second half compared to the first – even after a Prosper onside kick recovery in the first play of the second half.

The Eagles were dominated in total offensive yards (422-252) and first downs (21-13), while also committing three turnovers. Senior Keegan Shoemaker struggled Friday, throwing for 156 yards and three interceptions. If there’s anything positive to take from the stat line Friday, it’s that Prosper’s defense forced two turnovers of their own.

Anderson also continued his impressive season by adding 100 yards and the touchdown in the second half.

But the defense’s failure to stop much of the Plano East offensive attack in the first half and the road atmosphere made a second half comeback out of reach for the Eagles. The defense did a much better job containing the Panthers in the second half, but the offense didn’t find much more success.

Prosper was defeated fair and square by the Plano East Panthers Friday night. In almost every facet of the game, Plano East was superior to the Eagles. This was Prosper’s first real test of the season, so there’s a chance the stage might’ve been a little too bright. But the Eagles need to keep up their confidence as they had dominated four other 6A teams themselves in the previous four weeks.

After a bye week, the Prosper schedule doesn’t get much easier. Although they only have a 2-3 record, the Jesuit Rangers were a strong favorite to be competitive in Prosper’s district before the season. Jesuit is extremely talented, and a big 6A school, so the Eagles will need to play well if they want to walk away with a victory. Prosper, who is still 4-1, will have the advantage of the ‘Eagles Nest’ in one of their most crucial games yet Oct. 12.

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports throughout his life, and loves to write and report information to the Prosper community. His favorite sports are Football, Basketball, and Baseball, but looks to cover almost every sport on campus.