Guest column: Mental health affects students

Smile Prosper club aims to spread awareness, support for students

Rachel Price

Standing at a table featuring the club, seniors Ava Anderson and Rachel Price show off stickers. The two are leaders of the club Smile Prosper. “Smile Prosper provides a place where everyone feels safe,” senior Ava Anderson said. “Through each meeting and event, we establish dependable relationships with each other and have the security to express any repressed struggles or feelings. The stigma surrounding mental illness is so prominent in today’s world, and our high school. Smile Prosper allows us to join in the fight to break down that stigma – one day and one person at a time.”

Editor’s note: Senior Rachel Price, one of the founders of the Smile Prosper Club wrote this guest column for Eagle Nation Online. Contact a member of the staff if you have a guest column or article idea to pitch. We recognize and appreciate student input.

A lot of the time, it’s hard to comprehend the real meaning behind mental health. For a while, I’ve been doing some research on the subject, and I’ve found that most struggling don’t attempt to seek help. Through the club I founded, Smile Prosper, I’ve tried to fight the stigma and allow students the opportunity to seek a safe place to express themselves while earning volunteer experience. This is important because it allows students to engage simultaneously in meaningful activities while uplifting their peers.

Many students I’ve talked to don’t fully understand the effects of mental health, which I think my generation can slowly help fix.
Seeking help doesn’t always mean going up to a friend to ask them for help, but it does mean finding ways to combat the negativity by utilizing inspiring activities that might help shift your mindset. I have experienced times when I wasn’t sure what to do when struggling with mental health. Although, having people around who care about me allowed me to be open and honest about what I was struggling with and how to deal with it properly.

Mental health is definitely not something to take lightly or ignore. One in 10 children under the age of 18 suffer from mental health-related disorders and conflicts, according to the World Health Organization, proving exactly why mental health needs better attention. Breaking the stigma is more straightforward than most would think, which is why clubs like Smile Prosper, Hope Squad and Our Minds Matter often do things like placing sticky notes around school with positive messages or setting up ways to volunteer to help the community. Getting involved, whether it’s helping set up an event or a food/toy drive, helps students not only give back but also helps students understand how big a difference they can make in their community. Being valued is important, showing students they matter and have a purpose they have yet to fulfill in the future.

“Smile Prosper provides a place where everyone feels safe,” senior Ava Anderson said. “Through each meeting and event, we establish dependable relationships with each other and have the security to express any repressed struggles or feelings. The stigma surrounding mental illness is so prominent in today’s world, and our high school, Smile Prosper allows us to join in the fight to break down that stigma one day and one person at a time.”

Through Smile Prosper, I have learned that ‘it’s ok to not be ok’ and to embrace that.

— sophomore Caitlyn Love

For part of my independent research, I sent out a survey to those in my club to fill out and share with their friends. The survey had several questions regarding their perspectives on mental health at school and in general. Through the variety of 15-20 total responses, a majority expressed that school sometimes challenges their mental health, and better options to provide support would be helpful to students.

I believe that better awareness of the subject through signs, support groups, designated mental health areas and more would make Prosper High School an inclusive place where students feel more comfortable expressing themselves.

Many think that this might offer students a way to take advantage of their individual situations . However, the positives outweigh the negatives. Putting in the effort to ensure that students have a successful experience on campus and are being properly heard is invaluable – and is something every school should be doing. From personal experience, not enough schools put enough energy into mental health until tragedy strikes. Putting enough energy into the concept doesn’t just consist of placing sticky notes around campus, either. It means being there for each other and becoming understanding, compassionate individuals who consider people other than themselves.

“Through Smile Prosper, I have learned that ‘it’s ok to not be ok’ and to embrace that,” sophomore Caitlyn Love said. “I found a group that allowed me to surround myself with people who would be there if I needed a helping hand. The club also taught me how to help others myself. I have joined multiple fundraisers and helped countless people. Thanks to Smile Prosper, I have helped make a positive difference, which is more than I could have ever asked for.”

High school can be toxic for many, but it doesn’t have to be. Only we have the power to change that. The more effort we put into mental health, the better off we’ll be. Even though Prosper already has many resources for mental health, there is no such thing as “too much.” In this case, the more, the merrier.