Annual LeMans Race: Engineering team creates innovations

Student-built cars push boundaries, produce increased performance

And they’re off — engineering teacher Daniel Geiter’s annual LeMans project took place Nov. 4 in the main hallway. The project involved racing student-built miniature robotic cars through the hallways. The route started at the arena, and students said they hoped their vehicles made it to the auditorium.

“The base model is just the invitation,” Geiter said. “I love to see innovations every year from students.”

Engineering teacher Daniel Geiter waits for the first timer to be set as he kneels to help students with their cars. Geiter said he finds excitement in the project. “I want people to look for alternative solutions,” Geiter said. “Let them push the rules, but still be in (the) spirit of the competition.”

Geiter teams up with sister school, Rock Hill, and he generates new ideas with other engineering teachers. Learning from a different district allows for new projects and lessons.

“Receiving that input allows a lot of shifting,” Geiter said. “This year we did a whole different summative to help introduce the simple machines unit.”

Geiter said he wants students to ‘push’ the rules because it shows motivation to win but also lessons for future students. Allowing such freedom gives the team a more creative mindset — thinking outside the box. He then gives awards to students using the freedoms allowed in class to produce innovation.

“A group came up with using a different type of battery, (and) I’ve never done that before,” Geiter said. “The advantage there is the rewards for their creativity. They don’t know that yet.”

Geiter challenges students with assigning roles and teams.

“They volunteer what role they want to take on, who they want to work with and who they don’t,” Geiter said. “I guarantee that they will get who they don’t want to work with.”

For the 30-minute race,  students come together and work as a team. Roles within the group – project manager, mechanical engineer and electrical engineer – allowed a bonding and reliable experience. Students share thoughts about what the performance would look like. Groups are made up of grades 10-12.

“Figuring out how all materials and teammates work was interesting,” sophomore Carter Bakewell said. “It ended up being really fun and cool.”

Standing by the ‘peagle,’ Gabe Logan, Moiz Hasnain and Noah Lynch take a minute to show off their winning car from the engineering LeMans race. The students said their simple design led them to victory. “The team roles definitely made their impact,” Logan said. “It made it easier for Noah and me to see the car take off on the ground. That was really exciting.” (Juliana Cruz)

Behind the scenes, students share what was difficult and how they pushed through it. Sticking together allowed them to solve issues during the race, as well.

“Even though the car overheated, I think we’ll be fine,” junior Ethan Ashton said. “Teamwork and cooperating overall is the biggest factor that helps us get through it.”

Project manager and sophomore Gabe Logan said challenges came with the construction of the car and how it came to be.

“We didn’t have all materials that we wanted,” Logan said. “We had to be super creative and reconstruct certain design aspects.”

Multiple groups disperse throughout the main hallway, as their cars take off. Teacher Daniel Geiter watches the cars and their designers throughout the race. “I want students to push the rules,” Geiter said. “It’s led to new innovations, which is exactly what I want to see.”

Winners of the group include Logan, senior Noah Lynch, and sophomore Moiz Hasnain. The team said their unity provided a key factor to their win. More input allowed constructive criticism, boosting the car’s performance.

“The team roles definitely made their impact,” Logan said. “It made it easier for Noah and me to see the car take off on the ground, that was really exciting.”

The race is one Geiter doesn’t want to change. He continues to seek even higher performances from students.

“I want students to push the rules,” Geiter said. “It’s led to new innovations, which is exactly what I want to see.”

Kace Spears - ENN