NAHS students instruct acrylic-pour art workshop

Judy Seay

As they swirl paint on a canvas, teachers create acrylic pour artwork in a workshop taught by National Art Honor Society students. The group held the workshop Oct. 8, and NAHS sponsor Judy Seay said she plans to hold more in the future. “A lot of the teachers were feeling really stressed, and they commented on how they would like to do art, and they don’t have time to do it,” Seay said. “I thought it would be nice for us to give them an opportunity to learn something.”

Would you attend an art workshop if you get the chance?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

As they poured paint on the canvas, allowed the liquid to move its way, and left it to dry to show their colors, the National Art Honor Society students shared their knowledge on how to create acrylic pour artwork. However, in this case, the students volunteered to be the teachers of their teachers.

National Art Honor Society held an art workshop for teachers Oct. 8. The event invited teachers to get together and learn from student volunteers about how to create acrylic pour artwork. According to the sponsor teacher Judy Seay, she created the idea based on comments from other teachers.

“A lot of the teachers were feeling really stressed, and they commented on how they would like to do art, and they don’t have time to do it,” Seay said. “I thought it would be nice for us to give them an opportunity to learn something.”

The workshop also gave NAHS student volunteers a chance to perform leadership roles and earn volunteer hours.

The workshop was a great way to spread awareness of our group to the other faculty, and I was happy with their feedback. Everyone who came seemed to really enjoy making cool artwork and talking to new people. It was a great thing to be part of.

— Gillian Diel

“With COVID-19 going on, it’s been hard for NAHS students to find the volunteer hours that they need in a safe environment,” Seay said. “This enabled us to have a class to give my students leadership roles and to allow them to be the teachers to volunteer and allow the teachers to make some really good artwork. Their work was amazing.”

Ginger McClendon, a library aide who participated in the workshop, highlighted the break it gave to teachers.

“This workshop not only allowed staff members to be creative, it also provided a much needed mental break,” McClendon said. “I was able to get to know my colleagues in a relaxed environment that I otherwise wouldn’t have crossed paths with. It was wonderful.”

The event not only helped teachers to try out a hobby but also allowed the student volunteers to bring attention to NAHS.

“The workshop was a great way to spread awareness of our group to the other faculty, and I was happy with their feedback,” NAHS Secretary Gillian Diel said. “Everyone who came seemed to really enjoy making cool artwork and talking to new people. It was a great thing to be part of.”

Looking at her artwork, teacher Cris Goodman inspects her acrylic pour artwork. Goodman created the artwork in a workshop taught by the National Art Honor Society students. “The workshop was a great way to spread awareness of our group to the other faculty, and I was happy with their feedback,” NAHS Secretary Gillian Diel said. “Everyone who came seemed to really enjoy making cool artwork and talking to new people. It was a great thing to be part of.” (Judy Seay)

With the positive reports that came to the group from both teachers and volunteers, Seay talked about her future plans for more events.

“We are planning on doing several of them,” Seay said. “We are planning on doing a poetry painting and making some giant paper flowers.”

The National Art Honor Society is currently accepting new members, and the application is due Oct. 27.

“I recommend joining NAHS to anyone who enjoys creating art & learning new things about it,” Diel said. “You don’t have to be an amazing artist to have a good experience in NAHS, you just have to be excited to create and participate in what we do.”

Although NAHS offers opportunities for art lovers, it also promotes personal development and brings opportunities to people who love learning new things

“When I joined freshman year, I did not know anyone and I’ve grown to make two of my closest friends from NAHS,” NAHS Vice President and senior Aly Skiddle said. “NAHS definitely helped me strengthen both my art skills and help me build relationships with other people who have the same passion as me.”

“NAHS has helped me grow as a person because I have been helped to strengthen my people skills and be more involved with helping others through things like volunteer hours,” NAHS President Carli Bowler said.

“One important element of NAHS is being able to learn from each other,” Skiddle said. “I was able to see other people’s works which both awed and inspired me. I was able to learn new art techniques from others and gain a better insight into the art world.”