Gates of Prosper builds Phase II, to open in 2021

After+COVID-19+delays%2C+a+section+of+Gates+of+Prosper+Phase+II+construction+nears+completion.+Venues+like+Starbucks+and+Tiffs+Treats+can+be+expected+to+open+as+early+as+Spring+2021.+There+have+been+businesses+or+developments+that+have+placed+their+projects+on+hold+as+a+result+of+COVID-19%2C+town+planner+Pamela+Clark+said.+Many+businesses+are+re-evaluating+how+to+structure+their+businesses+in+order+to+best+serve+their+customers+while+maintaining+social+distancing+guidelines.+

Morgan Reese

After COVID-19 delays, a section of Gates of Prosper Phase II construction nears completion. Venues like Starbucks and Tiff’s Treats can be expected to open as early as Spring 2021. “There have been businesses or developments that have placed their projects on hold as a result of COVID-19,” town planner Pamela Clark said. “Many businesses are re-evaluating how to structure their businesses in order to best serve their customers while maintaining social distancing guidelines.”

Morgan Reese, Assistant Photo Editor

Editor’s note: This is a developing story, more information will follow. This story was last updated on Dec. 1o, 2020 by Grace Williamson.

Since its grand opening in 2018, Gates of Prosper has become a community go-to place for dining and shopping. Due to its gain in popularity and demand for retail space, Gates of Prosper plans to open an expansion named Gates of Prosper Phase II on the other side of Preston Road. In spite of delays created by COVID-19, developers project to open the 800-acre expansion in the spring and summer of 2021.

Phase II originally began construction in October 2019 and projected the first development to be finished by Summer 2020, but COVID-19 has halted the opening date.

“There have been businesses or developments that have placed their projects on hold as a result of COVID-19,” town planner Pamela Clark said. “Many businesses are re-evaluating how to structure their businesses in order to best serve their customers while maintaining social distancing guidelines.”

With the new stores opening in Phase II, shopping, dining and working will become more convenient for local residents.

“I think I’m most excited for the Michael’s and Starbucks,” junior Pooja Mirkhelker said. “I won’t have to drive all the way to Frisco for art supplies and it’ll make getting a job a lot easier, too.”

The new stores will not only provide new venues for families to enjoy, but also job opportunities for high school students and others looking to enter the workforce.

“I’m glad that we have a lot more opportunities open for the community,” junior Lauren Helbing said. “I’d have to say I’d be most interested in working at Michael’s because it’s a great store.”

As of right now, the first stores and restaurants will open in Spring 2021. Make sure to watch for job postings near the time of opening to take advantage of these opportunities.

Spring 2021

Starbucks

Kohl’s

Hobby Lobby

Sleep Number

City Salon Sweets

Gloria’s Restaurant

Yard Art Patio Furniture

Tiff’s Treats

Paradise Grill

T-Mobile

Spenga

Chipotle

Pure Barre

Wells Fargo

Summer 2021

Longhorn Steakhouse

Michael’s

Sephora

For more information on Gates of Prosper Phase 1, check out this multimedia package:

New developments turn small town into retail hub