Opinion: E-learning, coronavirus may help grade point averages

A cell phone with current events regarding coronavirus sits on a book used with e-learning. The district will continue e-learning through May 1. “E-learning is a system that is new to everyone, and while this isn’t necessarily an easier way to do school, students have the freedom to make their own schedule and pace themselves,” junior and social media director Haley Medeiros said. “Students can choose to get that work done first, or simply take an hour in between their classes so that they can give their full attention to that class.”

We are living in an uncertain, scary and interesting time in history. While the coronavirus outbreak is unpredictable, there is one helpful outcome that most students can already confirm.

Our GPAs may stand a chance.

E-learning is a system that is new to everyone, and while this isn’t necessarily an “easier” way to do school, students have the freedom to make their own schedule and pace themselves. Instead of having a half-an-hour of “free time,” students can now go right on to the next class without waiting. For these students, the at-home school day only takes up a few hours.

On the other hand, for the student who has four AP classes one right after the other, they can choose certain days to focus on each class. Last period is a tiring class for every student, especially those who have had a full day of fast-paced classes beforehand. Students can choose to get last-period work done first, or simply take an hour in between their classes so that they can give their full attention to each class a task that is nearly impossible after an eight-hour school day.

Furthermore, this is a brand new learning curve for everyone in the district. Students aren’t completely alone with trying to figure out how to e-learn, and teachers are more understanding in making sure students get their attendance and school work done. It isn’t the most ideal form of education, but it certainly is helpful and a better alternative to making up days in the summer.

E-learning isn’t for everyone, though, and it is far from perfect. It’s certainly straining when we are stuck in the house with no other face-to-face social interaction other than our families.

However, health is the No. 1 priority, and once we can find a schedule that best fits our learning personalities, e-learning can be a life, and grade, saver.

Is e-learning hurting or helping your grades?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.