Basketball falls in first round of playoffs; finishes valuable first season in 6A

Josh+Davis+looks+for+an+open+teammate+in+a+game+against+the+Plano+West+Wolves.+As+Prosper%27s+season+comes+to+an+end%2C+Davis%2C+who+is+a+senior%2C+will+be+leaving+the+team.+%22Major+contributions+will+need+to+be+made+by+underclassmen+to+fill+the+void%2C%22+Sports+Writer+Zach+Markey+said.+

Josh Davis looks for an open teammate in a game against the Plano West Wolves. As Prosper's season comes to an end, Davis, who is a senior, will be leaving the team.

Josh Davis looks for an open teammate in a game against the Plano West Wolves. As Prosper's season comes to an end, Davis, who is a senior, will be leaving the team. "Major contributions will need to be made by underclassmen to fill the void," Sports Writer Zach Markey said.

Sydney Washburn

Sydney Washburn

Sydney Washburn

Zach Markey, Sports Writer and Editor

Boys basketball season came to an end following the Eagles’ 80-55 loss at the hands of South Garland Tuesday night. Prosper made the playoffs after finishing in fourth place in the district, which matched them up with the Colonels, who were undefeated in their district, in a tough first round.

South Garland and Tyrese Maxey

The South Garland Colonels featured the 11th best player in the country, according to ESPN.com, with Tyrese Maxey. Maxey is committed to play college basketball for the Kentucky Wildcats next season and seemed to be just too much for the Eagles.

Maxey showcased several highlight-reel plays, including an alley-oop dunk on an impressive pass from his teammate. When there is a player as talented as Maxey on the opposing team, it takes an entire team effort to at least limit his performance. Unfortunately for Prosper, the effort wasn’t quite enough.

First 6A season in review

As the first season in the 6A division comes to a close, there were many highs and lows throughout the year. The team started out slow early in the preseason tournament season but seemed to find their groove in the second portion. In district play, the boys started by winning four of their first five district games but fell behind in the standings toward the ladder half from losses to the tough Allen Eagles and the extremely beatable Plano West.

A future without Josh Davis

This first season in 6A should provide as a building block and a season of learning. However, with seniors like Josh Davis leaving next season, major contributions will need to be made by underclassmen to fill the void. Juniors Amon Allan and Grant Shaw showed points of promise this season that can carry onto the next. Although there is hope, it will be tough to replace a player as great as Davis, who played on the varsity team for three years.

To stay up-to-date on Prosper High news and views, follow Eagle Nation Online, @ENO_PHS, on both Twitter and Instagram.

About the Contributors
Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer

Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports...

Sydney Washburn, Assistant Photo Editor

Sydney Washburn grew up in McKinney until moving to Prosper the summer of 2018. Before joining the Eagle Nation Online staff, Sydney was on the newspaper...