Analysis – Basketball starts season with highs & lows, performs well in district tournament

Sydney Washburn

Senior point guard Josh Davis, No. 11, will be honored Friday, Dec. 14, before the home varsity game at about 7:25 p.m. for crossing the 1,000-point mark in his varsity career. Here, he waits for the next play in a game earlier this season against McKinney North. Davis ended this game with 11 points. Prosper fell to the Bulldogs 64-72 this night, but they won last night, Dec. 4, against Flower Mound Marcus 52-34.

Zach Markey, Sports Columnist and Editor

There have been two completely different sides of the varsity boys basketball’s 6-5 record through 10 games. After a slow 1-3 start to the year, the Eagles bounced back with an impressive showing at the annual Prosper ISD Sewell Boys Basketball Classic tournament,  even though they fell to The Colony Cougars in the championship game. Experienced senior Josh Davis has been the leader for this team, which includes several new varsity players.

The boys started the season with a slow 1-3 record through four games, losing against McKinney North, Frisco Heritage and Frisco Liberty. But since then, they’ve defeated teams like Frisco, Little Elm and most recently Flower Mound Marcus. The win against the Little Elm Lobos was an overtime thriller that advanced the Eagles into the championship game of the PISD tournament. The Lobos are no stranger to Prosper, as the teams faced many times last year in the 5A division with each game being hard-fought and emotional from both sides. Now with Prosper in 6A, this may be the only time they face their “rival,” so it had to be satisfying for the team to win a close battle against Little Elm.

Giant milestone

Their most recent victory against Flower Mound Marcus Tuesday not only gave the Eagles another victory in the win column but also made history for senior Josh Davis. Davis reached the milestone of 1,000-plus career points with the varsity team. Ever since his sophomore year, Davis has been a contributor to the success of Prosper basketball, and this milestone shows just that.

Upcoming games

In their next three games, the boys have a tough road ahead. They will matchup against Richardson (7-1), Birdville (7-1) and, once again, The Colony (9-1). Although this looks like an intimidating group of teams, Prosper seems to have dug themselves out of the slow start to the season, and are starting to find their way. If unlikely players can step up, especially in scoring, that gives the Eagles a big key to finding success in these few games. Although Josh Davis has been spectacular, he cannot carry the weight of the team the entire season. This stretch of three games will show exactly where the Eagles stand at the start of the season.