Community unites through student-council-sponsored ‘Relay for Life’

Event honors families, loved ones as it raises awareness, funds for cancer-cure research

Speaking to the crowd, Jaxon Little’s mother, former athletic director Valerie Little, thanks the community for showing up to the event. Friends and family came to support those who they know who have gone through cancer. A special walk took place at the end of the event to honor those who lost their lives. (Erica Deutsch)
To lend their support, seniors Harper McIntosh and Kosca Abrams participate in the event. Clubs such as the Spanish Honors Society handed out cookies and candy. Other clubs also gave out a variety of gifts to those who attended. (Erica Deutsch)
As student council rounds up all students and attendees to the track, participants prepare for the final walk as a group for the night. Students and community members purchased and decorated lanterns with notes to recognize those who have passed away. Relay for Life took from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. April 12. (Sofia Ayala)
During the event, clubs and organizations set up games for kids to play with prizes. Senior Laird Hanson works the FFA area. He and other members instructed kids in how to play their group’s “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” game. (Erica Deutsch)
Lighting up the path, members of the community are honored with student made lanterns across the track. The glow filled path for students and community members once the sun set. The student council helps organize Relay for Life annually at PHS in the month of April. (Sofia Ayala)
Students from various clubs attend Relay for Life to support the cause to find a cure for cancer, and give back to their community. Walnut Grove’s student council and National Honor Society also attended the event. The PHS Track and Field turf gave space for the booths and their participants. (Sofia Ayala)
As the take a break near the booths, junior Sophia Gomez and other participants share their experiences. The event aimed to raise awareness to the need for a cure for cancer as well as showed the community ways it could help. Groups from multiple schools participated. (Erica Deutsch)
Holding a sign for the Prosper Physics Club is junior Trey Mueller standing alongside physics teacher John Mitchell and juniors Robbie Cyber and Sam Harden. “We do physics experiments that you wouldn’t normally get to do in a physics classroom, to show the fun of physics,” Cyber said. “We’re here to support everyone out there who’s dealing with cancer or anything like that.” (Erica Deutsch)
As the sky began to get dark, the lanterns lit up the night sky. Students then started walking the track. Each lantern had a name written on it of a lost loved one as well as a message about the person being honored. The students and community members all walked together to finish off the night. (Erica Deutsch)
‘Relay for Life’ raises money to cure cancer
In front of the lower house, a Relay for Life sign, made by the student council, promotes the event. The event will be hosted to raise money against cancer. The fundraiser will be on the PHS Turf and Track, on April 12 from 6 – 10 p.m.
In front of the lower house, a Relay for Life sign, made by the student council, promotes the event. The event will be hosted to raise money against cancer. The fundraiser will be on the PHS Turf and Track, on April 12 from 6 – 10 p.m. (Kaya Miller)

The following article originally ran here prior to Relay for Life.
Relay for Life will be held at the PHS Turf and Track this Friday, April 12, from 6 to 10 p.m. Entry will be free, and the invite is extended to everyone who wishes. To participate in the carnival games at the booths and purchase food, you will need to pay for tickets.

Relay for Life is an event to raise money to put an end to cancer. Survivors are honored and money is raised through donations and running laps around the track.

If you are in an organization or club, please arrive by 5 p.m. to ensure your club has enough time to set up. If you think you will need longer than that, your club is welcome to come sooner.

If you're not a PHS club, you can bring your tent when your club arrives at the actual event if this is easier for you (limit your amount of trips to PHS). Everyone will be meeting at the PHS track, as the event is being held there.

Relay for Life’s Prosper High School group currently has a goal of $10,000. They currently have $3,940.76 raised.  Click here to donate

For more information on the origin of Relay for Life, check out the official website – Link