Ariana Grande releases seventh album ‘eternal sunshine’

Singer delights fans with new record
Isabel Multer
Displayed on a Canva graphic is the album cover for Ariana Grande’s newest album ‘Eternal Sunshine’. The album was released on Mar. 8 with its’ lead single “yes, and?” being released earlier on Jan. 12. This is Grande’s seventh studio album.

More than three years after the release her 2020 album, positions, Ariana Grande finally gave fans new music on Mar. 8, 2024 with her latest studio album, ‘eternal sunshine.’  Grande released the album’s lead single “yes, and?” on Jan. 12, nearly two months before the rest of the album, keeping fans anticipating. It did not disappoint. The pop album was well received by fans and critics, reaching 77,000 sales in the week following its release and marking the singer’s sixth No. 1 album on the Billboard 200.

Track 1 “intro (end of the world)”

9/10

The album starts off strong with a short, slow intro. The tempo is slow, but Grande’s outstanding vocals have not changed a bit since her last album, which is what I love most about this song. The lyrics pose questions about being in a relationship, which sets the tone for the album as many of the tracks revolve around both heartbreak and finding love.

“Wonder if he’s thinking ’bout it too and smiling/Wonder if he knows that that’s been what’s inspiring me”

Track 2 “bye”

8/10

The fun, pop genre of this album starts to come out in this second track, which Grande never fails to execute amazingly. The lyrics telling the story of moving through your fears combined with the upbeat melody makes for a really motivational vibe. This song definitely reminds me of some of Grande’s older songs, such as “thank u, next,” which really show her consistency that I love.

“I can’t believe I’m finally moving through my fears”

Track 3 “don’t wanna break up again”

7/10

This song has a bittersweet vibe to it. The lyrics are more sorrowful, but it is still semi-upbeat. Grande also continues to hit her iconic high notes. This song is super chill, and although I gave it a lower rating, it’s definitely not a skip. Some of the relationship struggles brought up in the lyrics of many songs on this album may be related to the divorce Grande went through earlier this year, putting some more passion behind the writing of the album.

“It’s breaking my heart/To keep breaking yours again”

Track 4 “Saturn Returns Interlude”

4/10

Eternal Sunshine takes a pause at this track as this is a 40 second interlude. There is subtle, quiet music in the background, but this isn’t exactly a song. The lyrics discuss what it’s like finding who you are as a person, which really encapsulates the theme of the entire album.  Although I won’t be adding this interlude to my playlist, I think it definitely adds some artistry to the album.

“It’s time for you to get real about life and sort out who you really are”

Track 5 “eternal sunshine”

7/10

This title track was a fan favorite by far, with its faster beat and catchy lyrics. The beat is more trap-like during the verses, then slows down, before picking back up for the chorus. It is is a dynamic that is so fun to listen to. I did feel like the lyrics were a little repetitive, but overall the song could be played at any occasion and fits any mood, which I love.

“I found a good boy, and he’s on my side/You’re just my eternal sunshine”

Track 6 “supernatural” (with Troye Sivan)

10/10

The lyrics and instrumentals of this song give it a very magical vibe of falling in love. This song reminds me of something that would play in a movie scene of two characters falling in love, and it is super blissful and enjoyable to listen to. Summer vibes are definitely present in this song, so this is one of my favorites that I won’t be skipping.

“This love’s possessing me/But I don’t mind at all”

Track 7 “true story”

7/10

This song doesn’t have the typical steady beat that has been present so far in the album. It has a more early 2000s vibe with a slower beat. Grande showcases her vocal range throughout the song, and the instrumentals in the back stand out from the rest of the songs on the album. I love some good early 2000s vibes, and I think this song perfectly encapsulates a classic Y2K beat, with Grande’s signature high notes adding her own twist.

“If it makes you feel better/I’ll be the one you love to hate, can’t relate”

Track 8 “the boy is mine”

9/10

Taking a turn from the melancholy feeling of the last track, this song focuses on the feeling of falling in love. This song has an amazing chorus and really fun beat, along with Grande’s stunning vocals. This song also has some 90’s R&B vibes to it which is unique for this generations music, and I am a big fan.

“Something about him is made for somebody like me”

Track 9 “yes, and?”

8/10

The lead single of the album “yes, and?” has a super fun vibe to it. I think Grande releasing it earlier was a great tease, as it’s super upbeat and the lyrics focus a lot on self-worth. The fast melody and rhythm tied with the motivational lyrics make this song a great workout song and overall just a good song to boost your mood.

“And if you find yourself in a dark situation/Just turn on your light and be like/yes, and?”

Track 10 “we can’t be friends (wait for your love)”

9/10

Another track with a more chill vibe, this song is a great sing-a-long. The lyrics perfectly display the struggles of waiting for a relationship to be how you want and the two sides of relationships. Grande has a unique ability to turn sad, sorrowful lyrics into an upbeat, catchy song.

“My love, I’ll wait for your love/Me and my truth, we sit in silence”

Track 11 “i wish i hated you”

4/10

Although Grande showcases her great vocals in this song, it ranks lowest for me because there’s really no beat and the instrumentals remain the same throughout the song. I think the lyrics were very insightful on the struggles of moving on after a breakup, however the overall composition of the song seemed boring to me. The message behind the lyrics definitely matches the theme of the album, but so does the intro and interlude, so I think I could’ve gone without this song.

“Our shadows dance in a parallel plane/Just two different endings, you learn to repair”

Track 12 “imperfect for you”

7/10

The slower beat of this song and intentional lyrics about self-consciousness make this a perfect break-up tune. The song’s tempo captures the feelings involved in moving onto a new chapter of life. The pace of the song and melody doesn’t have the same highs and lows as some of the other songs on the album, which is why it’s not my favorite. But, it’s still a great song that I would listen to in a more chill, calm mood.

“I’m glad we crashed and burned/I know we’ll be there for each other”

Track 13 “ordinary things” (feat. Nonna)

8/10

I love how Grande ended off the album with a joyful, cute love song. The lyrics illustrate a wholesome relationship, while the beat is chill but not too slow. The song features an audio recording of  the pop star’s grandmother, 98-year-old Marjorie Grande, “Nonna” When this song hit No. 55 on the Billboard Hot 100, Nonna became the oldest person to to ever be on the chart.. Nonna’s part at the end of the song is an uplifting speech about being in love which was super interesting to listen to and it sounded super poetic with the soft music in the background.

“We could spend every dime/But I don’t want anything but more time”

Overall, this album was an amazing addition to Grande’s discography. I love how Grande has upheld fans expectations with the fun, pop vibe she’s mastered over the years, topped with some outstanding vocals that are truly unique to her. I think the mix of breakup songs, love songs, and self-love songs made for a great theme that flowed well throughout the record. This album has definitely been on repeat for me since it came out, and keeps me excited for Grande’s next release.