Lady Eagles compete, host regional meet

Prosper girls’ powerlifting team places 2nd overall, athletes qualify for state

Click the photo above to start a slideshow with information about the regional powerlifting meet. Powerlifting teams from across Texas competed in the Texas High School Womens Powerlifting Association meet on Feb. 28 in the Prosper High School arena. PHS football teams and coaches helped run the event by spotting the lifters and setting up equipment. Multiple Lady Eagle powerlifters achieved personal and school records with their performances. The girls powerlifting team placed 2nd overall at the meet, and five Lady Eagles qualified to advance to the state meet, which will be held on March 13. The athletes that qualified to compete in the state meet over spring break are: seniors Juliana Cruz, Gabrielle Ocasio, Taryn Van Biezen, and Nikai Draper, along with junior Janie Stevenson. Two PHS athletes from the boys’ powerlifting team, juniors Trey Shirey and Leonel Anguaiano, also qualified for the state meet.

Who: Lady Eagle Powerlifting team — Led by head coach Brian Thompson and assistant coach Devin Lemons

What: Texas High School Powerlifting Association/Texas High School Womens Powerlifting Association meet

Where: PHS Arena

When: Wednesday, Feb. 28, at 1:30 p.m.