Soccer captain brings motivation to team

Senior Caden Berg builds bonds with teammates
Walking with his teammates, senior and captain of the soccer team Caden Berg, No. 10, leads the team on the road to playoffs. Seniors Lucas Tauzin and Tate Jones are also captains. If anything ever bothers me, I have two people to go to, Berg said. Us three being captains is kind of easy because we all three are good friends.
Walking with his teammates, senior and captain of the soccer team Caden Berg, No. 10, leads the team on the road to playoffs. Seniors Lucas Tauzin and Tate Jones are also captains. “If anything ever bothers me, I have two people to go to,” Berg said. “Us three being captains is kind of easy because we all three are good friends.
Sofia Ayala

As he walks out onto the field, senior Caden Berg brings one key focus as a leader: his teammates. Then, together, they unite to multiply these goals: Load up. Swing. Kick. Score. Win.

Berg began his soccer journey at just 6 years old, playing on numerous club teams. He has also played in the Solar League for about six years. This marks his second year as one of the captains of the PHS team.

“The best part about leading the team is just kind of how everybody respects you,” Berg said. “Having a lot of responsibility and knowing that the team follows everything I do.”

Berg’s family introduced him to soccer. His family has participated in the sport for years, and Berg’s older siblings were also soccer players.

My older sister played, and then my older brother also played,” Berg said. “Just growing up, my family kind of just threw me in there.”

Caden is a good leader and always gets the team laughing, but is focused when it’s time for the game.

— senior Tate Jones

Through the years, Berg and his team have faced many challenges when it came to playoffs, but this year he said he hopes to have a longer season.

“(In my freshman year) I got called up for playoffs, but I ended up getting hurt in the first game, so I just had to watch,” Berg said. “Then, my sophomore year, I wasn’t allowed to play because I was sick. Then my junior year we lost in our first round of playoffs. So, we’re just hoping for a longer run this year.”

With the role as a team captain, Berg grew as a person and player.

“To play soccer, you have to be good in school,” Berg said. “So, playing soccer has helped my grades a lot. And, the responsibilities of kind of carrying a team and stuff like that — it’s helped me grow as a person.”

Berg said one challenge can be keeping the team motivated during a tough game.

“If we’re ever losing a game, most kids on the team come to a captain,” Berg said. “Sometimes it’s hard to motivate the team to get back into the game because usually everyone’s head goes down. Trying to like get the team motivated and get them back on task is usually the most difficult thing.”

Leadership of the team is easier for him, according to Berg, because he has two people by his side to help.

“My two best friends are also captains (seniors Tate Jones and Lucas Tauzin). So, if anything ever bothers me, I have two people to go to,” Berg said. “Us three being captains is kind of easy because we all three are good friends.”

After a loss against McKinney Boyd last year, the team has been working this season to better its record.

Something I admire about Caden’s captaincy is his desire to win. Everything from motivating us during practice to leading us to wins. Having a captain that motivated and determined to win is crucial to being a competitive team

— junior Hayden Crotts

“We were losing 2-0, and we needed a win in order to win district,” Berg said. “The whole team was down. During halftime, we all had a talk. We all motivated the team and ended up coming back, winning the game and winning district.”

To prepare, Berg and the rest of his team watch films of previous games and analyze both defensive and offensive plays. During practice, each player focuses on skills specific to their position.

“All three captains are a different position,” Berg said. “I’m with the forwards, so I usually help with the forwards. Tate helps with the defense, and Lucas is with the midfielders.”

The game against Hebron secured the team’s first win of the season, and the game became one of Berg’s favorite memories.

“Last year, we ended up tying with them, but this year we ended up beating them 2-0,” Berg said. “So, the environment on the way home was very good.”

While last year, Berg received the district MVP award, he said his focus goes to team accomplishments.

“Just winning games and seeing the team spirit on the way home, everyone is joyful,” Berg said. “Eating after games with that positive energy always ends the night well.”

After high school, Berg plans to continue his career as a Division I athlete at either the the University of Central Florida or University of Charleston.

“I’ll miss the team environment and the friendships that we made through high school,” Berg said. “I’ve played with them since I was a freshman. (I’ll miss) the bonds and all the relationships I’ve made over the years.”