Filed under Showcase, Sports

Varsity football impresses in 56-14 win over Keller Timber Creek

Senior Derien Ivy, No. 2, and sophomore Aidan Siano, No. 44, run through the field after halftime in the week one matchup against Naaman Forest. In the attached article, sports editor and columnist Zach Markey gives a wrap-up of the Eagles defeat of Keller's Timber Creek Falcons 56-14, and he looks ahead to this week's match-up against Flower Mound.

Senior Derien Ivy, No. 2, and sophomore Aidan Siano, No. 44, run through the field after halftime in the week one matchup against Naaman Forest. In the attached article, sports editor and columnist Zach Markey gives a wrap-up of the Eagles defeat of Keller's Timber Creek Falcons 56-14, and he looks ahead to this week's match-up against Flower Mound. "Look for the Eagles to come out with a lot of intensity to put on a show for the home crowd," Markey said. "If they come out of Friday with a win, there should be lots to look forward to for the rest of the year."

Neha Madhira

Neha Madhira

Varsity football reached their second victory of the season last Friday, Sept. 7, as they cruised past the Keller Timber Creek Falcons 56-14. With 157 yards and three touchdowns, senior Wayne Anderson was the best player on the field by a large margin. Being the successor of star running-back Kaleb Adams, Anderson took the reigns quite nicely in the opening two games.

The weather Friday evening prompted kickoff to be delayed by an hour and 20 minutes. However, the Eagles seemed to be unaffected by the conditions. With credit to the coaching staff, they came out ready to play and dominated Timber Creek.

Quarterback Keegan Shoemaker showcased his stellar start to the season by throwing for 254 yards and three touchdowns. The three-year varsity veteran appears to be taking strides to start his last year with the Eagles.

Shoemaker’s favorite target appeared to be fellow senior wide-out Jostein Clarke, who finished with 124 yards and two scores. The bulk of his yardage came from his 70-yard touchdown reception from Shoemaker early in the second quarter. Clarke showed his talent multiple times last season on the varsity squad, but seems to be utilized much more in his final year as an Eagle.

Senior defensive players, including Ananias Mayes, No. 4, and Cody Gallegos, No. 25, and prepare to execute their next play. So, far the Eagles have a 2-0 record. The team plays has a home non-conference game against Flower Mound 7 p.m. Friday, Sept. 14.

The defense also showed tons of promise by limiting the Keller Timber Creek offense to just 14 points on the night. Senior standout Devin Haskins had a huge pick-six late in the game. That interception and following score allowed the Eagles to extend their lead and put to rest all chances of Timber Creek making a comeback.

On both sides of the ball, Prosper has looked nothing short of spectacular in these first two matchups against 6A opponents. As a new face to the class, the Eagles couldn’t have asked for a much better start through two weeks.

Prosper’s journey through the tough 6A class continues Friday when they play Flower Mound at the Eagle’s Nest for the first time this season. Flower Mound comes into Friday fresh off a win over Plano West, a fellow opponent in Prosper’s district. Look for the Eagles to come out with a lot of intensity to put on a show for the home crowd. If they come out of Friday with a win, there should be lots to look forward to for the rest of the year.

Zach Markey, Sports Editor and Writer
Zach Markey is the Sports Writer and Editor for EagleNationOnline. As a senior, this will be his third year on staff. Zach has been a huge fan of sports throughout his life, and loves to write and report information to the Prosper community. His favorite sports are Football, Basketball, and Baseball, but looks to cover...
2 Comments

2 Responses to “Varsity football impresses in 56-14 win over Keller Timber Creek”

1. Jeff Davis on September 13th, 2018 4:56 pm

I enjoy following the Eagle Football as a prior resident of Prosper. Eagle Nation is starting to look like Pedestal Nation…. numbers don’t lie! When the games a blowout no play is that relevant to highlight All ⭐⭐⭐⭐s

Biased reporting is not reflective for an aspiring sports broadcaster – remember ANALYTICS. I recommend gaining insight before the next article from TX HS Football, Dallasnews.com (sports section) with accurate stats to be fair on behalf of all players.

I listened to both network broadcasts and the O/D Line deserve some highlight love. I could highlight some names but then my bias would show. I’d rather let performance and stats unveil talent not just my opinion. #slighting….

I’ll be watching/listening live Friday

Go Eagles – JD

2. Lisa Roskens on September 13th, 2018 7:25 pm

JD,
    Thank you for your great comments. What you are describing sounds like a sports wrap-up piece. In this article, Zach chose to publish a sports column, which is an opinion piece, rather than a straight report of the game. We’re in the process of recruiting more students who can write sports for our paper, so hopefully we will be able to include both columns and wrap-up pieces in the future. We love the fact that you are reading Eagle Nation Online. Keep sending us suggestions about the type of articles you would like to read next.
    – Lisa Roskens, ENO adviser

• Varsity football impresses in 56-14 win over Keller Timber Creek

Sports

Football continues winning season
    with 35-7 homecoming win over McKinney

Slideshows

Students, community share welcomes, wins, waves,
    at homecoming events

Featured Photography

Senior Spirit Leader Nico Ray runs flag down football field

Featured Photography

Homecoming King, Queen accept crowns

News

How to prepare for SAT, ACT exams

Featured Photography

Homecoming dress-up week celebrates ‘Tacky Tourist’ day

News

Students, parents head to career fair

News

School, local business to participate in annual homecoming parade

Opinion

Technology does not teach, teachers do

Featured Photography

Wingstop grants Ciera Hecht $2,500 scholarship