After winning game one, Prosper baseball drops final two games to lose Regional Final series against Forney

Saturday night saw the end of the Prosper Eagle baseball season. The Eagles looked strong in the opening matchup of the series with a 8-1 victory against Forney. However, they were unable to win either of the final two games, losing by final scores of 9-1 and 3-1. Prosper comes just one game short of advancing to the state tournament.

Senior pitcher Conner Jackson gave an extremely solid performance in game one, allowing 1 run on 7 hits in a complete game (7 IP). The Eagles’ bats matched the stellar pitching as well. However, after exploding for 8 runs in game one, Prosper was unable to bring the same offensive productivity the rest of the series.

In game two, Junior Jake Cosner took the mound looking to clinch the series. Unfortunately, Cosner struggled on the mound with the strong bats of Forney. Cosner is a very good pitcher, who is also reliable, but Friday just wasn’t his night. The offense wasn’t helping Prosper’s case for victory either. Forney has some of the most talented pitching groups in all the state, and it certainly was on display this series.

Game three was more of the same offensively for the Eagles. However, senior Braden Carmichael threw a solid game on the mound, which gave Prosper a better opportunity to come away with the win. Again, the Eagles could only manufacture one run on the night.

With that, the baseball season comes to an end. Although it is cliche, this squad has plenty to be proud of. They were undefeated in district, and seemed almost impossible to rattle until this series. However, Forney is a great squad as well, and it would come as no surprise if they become state-champions after next weekend.

For some seniors, Saturday night might’ve been the last baseball game they will ever play in. For some others, they look forward to extending their careers collegiately. Either way, they have been a superb class with a ton of great ball players.

For the underclassmen, there’s almost too much potential for future years it’s scary. Players like Jake Cosner will take the failures that might’ve come this year, and turn it into experience they will take into yet another playoff run next year. Although Prosper transitions into 6A next year, this baseball team might be the program that sees the most success with the transition. The quest for another state title starts today for those underclassmen.