Gratitude Column: Chief Operating Officer adopts ‘attitude of gratitude’

Enjoying senior sunrise, Christi Norris, on the far right, and some of her friends take a selfie. Norris has been a student at Prosper for three years. After moving to Prosper, Norris decided to adopt an attitude of gratitude, changing her perspective on life.

Christi Norris

Enjoying senior sunrise, Christi Norris, on the far right, and some of her friends take a selfie. Norris has been a student at Prosper for three years. After moving to Prosper, Norris decided to adopt an “attitude of gratitude,” changing her perspective on life.

Growing up, I was always taught to have an attitude of gratitude. But, this attitude I was taught to have didn’t really stick – until I was in high school.

In middle school and my freshman year, I was very unhappy and didn’t appreciate the good things in my life. I focused solely on the negative things, which left me feeling constantly discouraged.

This attitude had made me not only unhappy – but not fun to be around.

But, after moving to Texas and having to start over my sophomore year, I decided that it was time I look for the good. I learned that being thankful for the little things in life is what could make my days better – and my burdens lighter.

My challenges didn’t magically go away, but I was able to get through them without them bringing me down.

— Christi Norris

Once I adopted this new outlook, it was as if I put on my metaphorical rose-colored glasses. When I felt stressed about school, or anxious about the future or my friendships, I was still somehow able to see the good things. My challenges didn’t magically go away, but I was able to get through them without them bringing me down.

I began to notice how beautiful the sunrises and sunsets are in Texas, how kind the people in Prosper are, how every good grade and how every kind word and every positive tiny thing was a blessing. These little – and big, beautiful – things began to add up, making my life feel like less of a trudge through a field of quicksand and more like an easy hike up a beautiful mountain – still hard – but beautiful to behold.

Changing my attitude changed my life. At the start of high school, my outlook was negative. My struggles were my focus, and the beautiful moments of life passed me by.

Today, I still have trials, anxiety and stress, but my focus is on what makes me happy – not the things that could leave me with constant worry.

These little – and big, beautiful – things began to add up, making my life feel like less of a trudge through a field of quicksand and more like an easy hike up a beautiful mountain – still hard – but beautiful to behold.

— Christi Norris

I could go on for hours about the things I am thankful for, but I’ll keep my list as brief as possible.

Firstly, I am thankful for my parents. They have taught me an immeasurable amount of lessons, from the importance of being kind and non-judgmental to financial smarts. But, my parents have also supported me in anything I have ever tried – from rock climbing and horseback riding to photography to painting – they always allow me to follow my new passions. I would not be the person I am without them.

I am also thankful for my three brothers. They are my best friends – and sometimes my biggest pains – but, no matter what, I know that I can count on them. I could seriously talk for hours about how much I love them.

My friends in Colorado, Washington and Texas are also a big part of my thankful list. I have had the privilege to be friends with so many different people. To my friends in my old homes, thank you for your role in my past, and for maintaining our friendships – despite time and distance. To my friends in Texas, thank you for welcoming me here and for continuing to support me throughout all of the changes in our lives.

To my best friends, Meredith, Makenna and Amy, thank you all. Meredith, you and I have been through so much, and looking back at how much we have grown and changed, I’m so proud of us. Makenna, thank you for changing my life in Texas. You made my life go from good to great, and you accepted me without a thought. I cannot sufficiently express how much I love you. Amy, thank you for being you, for driving with me, crying with me and changing with me. Please don’t ever change. Your selflessness, humor and genuine friendship mean the world to me.

On top of the people who make my life wonderful, I have a lot more to be grateful for. I am thankful for our planet and the beautiful places I’ve been able to travel to. I’m thankful for our country, and the opportunities that I have been given. I’m thankful for photography, art, writing, music and other forms of expression that make my life full of color and beauty.

I’m also so beyond grateful to take photos and write for Eagle Nation Online. Being on ENO has changed my life. It gave me an opportunity to be a part of something not only bigger than myself, but something that I enjoy. I have treasured these last few years immensely.

Finally I want to express gratitude to my God for creating a beautiful world full of beautiful people.

I will never be able to make a sufficient list of all that I am grateful for, and I’m grateful for that.