Guest Podcast: ‘Something New from Lily Oxley’

Freshman digital media student invites Principal John Burdett to answer questions on topics ‘important’ to students

Mark Chrissan

A podcast graphic made my senior graphic designer Mark Chrissan introduces a new podcast by freshman reporter Lily Oxley who interviewed Principal John Burdett. Oxley and Burdett talked and recorded the podcast on Dec. 17. “Our goal is to make this the most incredible learning experience and place for you to come,” Burdett said. “We want our students to explore their passions and try to figure out their niche in life and what it is their interests are.”

Pullquote Photo

The most important thing I do is take care of the students at the school. I try to find out what it is you all want to do and what we can do better. We always try to solicit feedback to figure out what we can do better.

— Principal John Burdett

Editor’s Update: Freshman Lily Oxley shared this podcast that recorded right before winter break with ENO. Since she and Principal John Burdett met, he has taken action on many of the questions she addressed, including starting clubs to address student needs. These “Coffee Bean Clubs,” based on teachings by Damon West that help students know how to cope with stress, form relationships and lead others in doing the same, started meeting in January. Approximately 58 groups began meeting after break. The last group of clubs will have their first meetings at 10 a.m. today during Eagle Time on this last day of “Hope Week.” Other projects to help students are in the works by the administration, as well. More information will be coming soon on those.

At the end of last semester, Dec. 17, freshman reporter Lily Oxley interviews principal Dr. John Burdett about various school topics. Oxley and Burdett talked about how the school works to keep students safe as well as how it helps students handle more than just academic needs, including those involving mental health issues. “The most important thing I do is take care of the students at the school,” principal John Burdett said. “I try to find out what it is you all want to do and what we can do better. We always try to solicit feedback to figure out what we can do better.”

Show Notes / Comments from Lily Oxley …

“Last year I was new to Prosper, and it was all very confusing. Prosper is huge and especially after becoming a Prosper High student, I took interest in all of the people who had just moved here. In this podcast, I talk to Dr. Burdett about serious topics, including Hope Squad and starting a welcoming committee for the high school. I’m so excited to have an audience to speak for everyone who has had a similar experience to me.”

Do you know Principal John Burdett?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Do you have a close relationship with anyone at this school - student or faculty?

This podcast first published at the Eagle Nation Online site on Anchor.