District establishes Model United Nations club

Morgan Reese

In order to reach students, the district’s new Model United Nations’ club posts on Instagram. The group’s handle is @prosperisd_mun. On their Instagram, students can find more information about the club and stay updated.

Morgan Reese, Assistant Photo Editor

Students and faculty are preparing for the addition of a Model United Nations club at both Prosper and Rock Hill High Schools. The club offers opportunities to participate virtually or in-person. Registration is now open for both high schools, and the window will close at midnight on Aug. 31.

Model UN is a simulation of the UN General Assembly with opportunities to compete and speak about current events and issues like global health, human rights and climate change. Rock Hill delegate Shreya Srivathsan said she believes that there are many benefits from participating in the program.

“Students get the opportunity to attain skills that are required in college and in the real world,” Srivathsan said. “They get to learn how to apply these important skills through competing in mock conferences, getting to be in the shoes of world leaders, gaining a new perspective on world issues, and being aware of current events.”

As a delegate in Model UN, students will take on the role of world leaders and work together to research a current issue or crisis and debate the issue at various competitions. Students in the program will become familiarized with current local and international news so they can better understand what’s happening in the world, and find ways to solve current issues. 

The club also provides opportunities to travel and make connections to world leaders as well as to earn scholarships. At conferences, students have the unique opportunity to meet United Nations delegates and learn what it is like to participate in the UN General Assembly. 

To join Model UN, register before midnight on Monday, Aug. 31. For more information, visit PISD’s Model UN website or their Instagram, @prosperisd_mun.