Class prepares students for October standardized test

Amanda Hare

From his math-wing Room No. 1134, teacher Thomas Gomez works on his computer before class while wearing his Prosper Eagles face mask. Gomez teaches a PSAT test prep class, as well as Honors Algebra II and AP Calculus AB. Gomez said test preparation and study can help students achieve the results they want on standardized tests. “Typically they improve their ‘Index Score’ by 15 points on average,” Gomez said about his PSAT-prep course participants. “However, we’ve had really invested and hard-working students improve their ‘Index Scores’ by as much as 30 points.”

Amanda Hare, Assistant Editor

To help students improve their PSAT scores, teachers Leith McMillan and Thomas Gomez teach an invite-only test-prep class for juniors.

The class provides students with training and practice tests to prepare them for the PSAT in October, so students can receive National Merit Recognition if they have a high enough score. The class provides students with a 20-hour summer camp, five practice tests with feedback and one-on-one tutoring.

If any students want extra resources on the PSAT, but aren’t enrolled in the class, check out the public Google Classroom pages that Mr. Gomez and I created. These are open to any Prosper ISD student and contain much of the material we cover in the class, including practice questions, test-taking tips, and more.

— Leith McMiillan

“Typically, they improve their index score by 15 points on average,” Gomez said. “However, we have had really invested and hard-working students improve their index scores by as much as 30 points.”

While the PSAT is scored similarly to the SAT, students can qualify for the National Merit Scholarship based on their PSAT index score. This score is double the sum of their reading, math, writing and language test scores.

“My goal is just to improve overall,” junior PSAT student Makenna Brandvold said. “I hope to receive National Merit Recognition, but my main focus is to develop skills that will make me prepared for the PSAT, SAT and even the ACT.”

National Merit Recognition helps students with college admissions and possible scholarships.

“If invited, I want students to take this class because it only serves to help them,” McMillan said. “The entire purpose of the class is to get better and more comfortable with the format and questions posed by the PSAT, as well as other nationwide tests, and continued practice. This is the best way to get them to make the incremental improvements needed for the highest possible scores. I think the skills assessed in the PSAT go far beyond the test itself, so this prep class can help strengthen reading, writing and math skills in general.”

Students who are current juniors and received an index score of 180 or higher on their practice PSAT from their sophomore year are invited to the class.

“I don’t expect any changes with the index score goals, but I believe how they administer the test may be different due to COVID-19,” Gomez said. “College Board would possibly do something similar to how AP tests were administered online this past spring.”

Gomez suggests that students should start to study and practice for the PSAT as early as possible. He said the College Board’s free online practice tests are helpful as well as PSAT Test Prep Books and Delta Math for the math section.

“If any students want extra resources on the PSAT, but aren’t enrolled in the class, check out the public Google Classroom pages that Mr. Gomez and I created,” McMillan said. “These are open to any Prosper ISD student and contain much of the material we cover in the class, including practice questions, test-taking tips, and more.”